The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), Office of Environmental Management (EM) will host a technical interchange meeting on industrial exoskeletons on Wednesday, June 28 and Thursday, June 29, 2017. This meeting is an interagency collaboration among the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), and the U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC). For the purpose of this meeting, “exoskeleton” is a general term that includes robotic devices that are human-wearable or human-attachable.
The purpose of this meeting is to engage the robotics community on industrial applications of human-wearable and human-attachable robotic devices to enable and proliferate use among the various occupational groups. Breakout sessions will be held to foster more detailed and open discussions. Actions and status from the exoskeleton technical interchange meeting held in January 2017 will be discussed.
- Identify federal agencies and their respective interests, initiatives, projects, and deployments of human-wearable and human-attachable robotic devices for industrial (non-medical, non-military) applications
- Identify opportunities to transfer knowledge and technologies from medical and military applications to industrial applications
- Identify the key framework elements for a body of knowledge and a community of practice on human-wearable and human-attachable robotic devices
- Discuss terminology and standards among industrial end-users, Government industrial program leaders, insurance representatives, and the testing and standards community
- Identify two or three industrial scenarios for a collaborative test bed demonstration
- Facilitate the active engagement of the robotics community and its stakeholders
Subject matter experts, researchers and principal investigators, technologists, program/project managers, regulators, technology and service providers, stakeholders, and end-users from government, academic, industrial, and international communities are invited to this open meeting.
Crystal Gateway Marriott
1700 Jefferson Davis Hwy
Arlington, VA 22202
The attire is Business Casual for the meeting. Military personnel are not required to wear uniforms.