This 5 day seminar will focus on the requirements and basic test procedures for packages labeled by weight. This will include, but not be limited to, a review of U.S. Weights and Measures Laws, good quantity control processes, sampling, calculating standard deviation, moisture allowances, inspection reports and calculations, test procedures, tare, relevant court cases, drained weight and ice glazed procedures and more. The sessions will include formal lecture, class discussion, exercises, reading assignments, audio-visual presentations and hands-on practice.
After this seminar, you will be able to:
- UNDERSTAND the History, Scope and Package Requirements.
- EXPLAIN the Statistical Basis of Handbook 133 and Sampling Plans.
- DESCRIBE What, When and Where to Test.
- EXPLAIN Health and Safety aspects.
- IDENTIFY Good Measurement Practices.
- Properly SELECT Measurement Standards and Test Equipment.
- APPLY Basic Test Procedure.
- APPLY Tare Procedures.
- COMPUTE Nominal Gross Weight and Determine Package Errors.
- UNDERSTAND and APPLY moisture allowances.
- RECOGNIZE the Scope of Chapter 3.
- APPLY Gravimetric Test Procedures for Liquids.
You MUST bring a calculator and be able to calculate Standard Deviation. There will be no use of computers.
Materials & Supplies:
Participants will be provided with a notebook.
There are no prerequisites for this seminar.
Students must be in attendance for the entire class and actively participate in all in-class activities. You will be assessed on your application of all learning objectives for this course.
State Weights and Measures officials only. However, participants are responsible for their own transportation, lodging and meal expenses.
There are no registration fees for this seminar. However, participants are responsible for their own transportation, lodging and meal expenses.
Phone: (301) 975 - 4868
Email: David.Sefcik [at] nist.gov (David[dot]Sefcik[at]nist[dot]gov)