This 2 hour webinar will examine calibrating large tolerance weights using the Modified Substitution Mass Calibration procedure (SOP 8).
At the end of (or during) this session, using your notes and SOP 8, participants will be able to:
- DESCRIBE the process of SOP 8;
- IDENTIFY sources of error;
- IDENTIFY when use of SOP 8 is appropriate; and
- Correctly IMPLEMENT SOP 8.
The Webcast will be streamed in medium bandwidth (350kbs), so viewers needed to have a constant connection during the webcast.
- Hardware and operating system configurations:
Media players In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+ installed on your computer. Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to download the Flash Player. Internet browsers In order to access the event, you must have either Microsoft Internet Explorer (Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11) or Mozilla Firefox 3+ browser for Windows operating systems. For accessing events via Mac operating systems you must have Mozilla Firefox 3+ or Safari 4.x. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before: Test your connection: http://nist.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconnect.html
- Windows XP (Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome)
- Windows Vista (Internet Explorer or Firefox)
- Windows 7 or 8 (Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome)
- Apple Mac OS 10.5x (Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
Materials & Supplies:
Participants need to locate a field weight kit made up of fourteen (14) 2-lb weights. This kit will be used to make measurements as part of the webinar. Measurement information will be used in Webinar NISTIR 6969 SOP 8 - Part 2.
Participants must have successfully completed the Fundamentals of Metrology Seminar.
- Read SOP 29: http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/labmetrology/sops.cfm
- Read SOP 8: http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/labmetrology/sops.cfm
- Select the proper balance to calibrate a 2 lb mass standard,
- Read all applicable instrument manuals for the balance and become familiar with the balance operation.
- Identify the 2 lb mass artifact that will be used as the standard during this calibration process and locate the applicable calibration report for that artifact.
- Review "Uncertainty Definition" slides from Fundamentals (attached)
- Complete an Uncertainty Budget table (attached) based on identified components currently being used in your laboratory. Think about whether there might be more components to consider.
Completion includes completing pre-work assignment, full attendance and participation in the session activities and discussion.
Laboratory personnel who have responsibilities for developing, implementing, and/or improving the quality management system in their laboratory as well as those who are seeking OWM recognition and/or accreditation or improvements to support recognition/accreditation. This course is available for weights and measures participants only.
Registration fees for State weights and measures regulatory officials and metrologists are funded by NIST OWM.
Office of Weights and Measures
Phone: (301) 975 - 3602
Email: val.miller [at] nist.gov (val[dot]miller[at]nist[dot]gov)