The Sensor Science Division has a focused beam spectroscopic Mueller matrix ellipsometer. Its capabilities include
- Wavelengths from 245 nm to 1000 nm
- Spot size approximately 25 µm x 60 µm
- Fixed incident angle of approximately 65°
- Sample sizes up to 300 mm diameter, with scanning capability within a central 150 mm x 150 mm square
- Measures 11 elements of the Mueller matrix
- Full 360° rotation of the sample
This instrument is complemented with software for fitting data to thin film optical properties and thicknesses, as well as structure parameters describing one-dimensionally and two-dimensionally periodic gratings.
This facility is a part of the Sensor Science Division's Optical Properties of Materials focus program.