Download the NWIRP Strategic Plan
The National Windstorm Impact Reduction Act Reauthorization of 2015 directs the NWIRP Interagency Coordinating Committee to develop a Strategic Plan that includes:
- Prioritized goals for the Program that will mitigate against the loss of life and property from future wind-storms;
- Short-term, mid-term, and long-term research objectives to achieve those goals;
- A description of the role of each Program agency in achieving the prioritized goals;
- The methods by which progress towards the goals will be assessed; and
- An explanation of how the Program will foster the transfer of research results into outcomes, such as improved model building codes.
The Strategic Plan was developed by the Program agencies and Windstorm Working Group following review and assessment of prior national research needs and planning documents and consideration of stakeholder input obtained through the NWIRP Strategic Planning Stakeholder’s Workshop, held at the National Science Foundation on June 17, 2016.
NIST has established a 60-day public comment period for the NWIRP Strategic Plan . Comments on the draft plan must be received by May 15, 2017. Written comments may be submitted to NIST in three ways:
- By email to: email@example.com;
- By fax to: 301-869-6275; or
- By mail to: National Windstorm Impact Reduction Program, Attention: Dr. Marc Levitan, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8611, Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8615.
All comments will be made publicly available without redaction at https://www.nist.gov/el/mssd/nwirp. Accordingly, personal, proprietary or confidential information should not be included. Once the public comments have been received and considered, the revised Strategic Plan will be submitted to Congress by the Interagency Coordinating Committee of NWIRP, as required by the National Windstorm Impact Reduction Act Reauthorization of 2015 (Public Law 114-52) .
The links below provide additional information on the NWIRP Strategic Plan and submission of comments.
• Strategic Plan for the National Windstorm Impact Reduction Program: Draft for Public Comment (pdf)
• Request for Public Comments on Strategic Plan for the National Windstorm Impact Reduction Program (March 14, 2017)
• Federal Program to Reduce Windstorm Impacts Requests Comments on New Strategic Plan (News release, March 14, 2017)