Associate Director for Laboratory Programs
- Associate Director for Laboratory Programs Expand or Collapse
- Laboratory Programs Expand or Collapse
- Staff Offices Expand or Collapse
- Work with NIST
- Provides direction and operational guidance for the scientific and technical mission-focused laboratory programs of the Institute
- Serves as lead for program and budget development for laboratory programs
- Coordinates interagency and outreach activities
- Represents NIST and the laboratory programs to external audiences
- Has ultimate line management responsibility for the provision of measurement services that meet the needs of industry, academia, and other government offices.
NIST's seven laboratories include the Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology, Communications Technology Laboratory, Engineering Laboratory, Information Technology Laboratory, Material Measurement Laboratory, NIST Center for Neutron Research, and the Physical Measurement Laboratory.
The NIST laboratories collaborate with U.S. industry and universities to conduct measurement, standards, and technology research that advances the nation's R&D infrastructure. The overarching goal of the NIST laboratory programs is to accelerate U.S. innovation, which is a major driver of economic growth and job creation.
The NIST Laboratories provide opportunities for financial assistance award programs through the Measurement Science and Engineering Research Grant Programs. There are also many NIST program-specific financial assistance award programs to support the conduct of research and activities consistent with the NIST mission. See a list of NIST Notices of Funding Opportunities here.
Associate Director, Laboratory Programs (Acting)
Dr. James K. Olthoff is the Acting Associate Director for Laboratory Programs. As Acting ADLP, he provides direction and operational guidance for NIST's scientific and technical mission-focused laboratory programs and serves as principal deputy to the Under Secretary of Commerce for Standards and Technology and NIST Director, among other duties.