The SEI Fellow grade distinguishes members as leaders and mentors in the profession. The criteria;
- A current SEI member
- Actively involved in a local or national SEI committee or chapter. Examples of active involvement include: leadership, organizing conferences, seminars, workshops, and K-12 outreach
- A licensed Professional Engineer or Structural Engineer in the United States or in the country in which the Member resides (if such licensure is available).
- Nominated by an Organizational Entity of SEI (this includes SEI Board of Governors, SEI Committees and SEI Chapters).
- Have had responsible charge for a minimum of ten years of important work in structural engineering and be qualified to direct, conceive, plan, or design engineering works. Responsible charge typically means work performed after obtaining licensure as stated above.
- Or have had responsible charge for a minimum of ten years of important industrial, business, construction, educational, editorial, research, or engineering society activity, requiring the knowledge and background gained from engineering training and experience