Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Technical Review of NIST’s Free Standard Reference Data Products



Debra L. Kaiser, Robert J. Hanisch


Over the past two years, the ODI has undertaken an ambitious effort to modernize the SRD Program. This report covers one aspect of this modernization effort, a comprehensive internal technical review of the 75 free data products currently carrying the SRD label. As part of this review, guidelines for critical evaluation were developed, and specific evaluation methods used by SRD researchers were compiled. Each of the 75 data products was analyzed for compliance with the guidelines and use of the methods, taking into consideration that the 2017 SRD Act Update stipulated data to include digital data objects. The outcome of this analysis was that 65% of the data products will retain the SRD label. The remaining 35% of the data products will be assigned to other categories that better describe their content, including data compilations, bibliographic collections, and information resources. This report also includes an analysis of the latest date of new content for all 75 current free data products and a discussion of the implications of this analysis. Planning is underway for an external review of selected SRD Databases and other data products.
Special Publication (NIST SP) - 1223
Report Number


SRD, Standard Reference Data


Kaiser, D. and Hanisch, R. (2018), Technical Review of NIST’s Free Standard Reference Data Products, Special Publication (NIST SP), National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, [online], (Accessed May 25, 2024)


If you have any questions about this publication or are having problems accessing it, please contact

Created April 9, 2018, Updated November 10, 2018