A body area network (BAN) is a wireless network consisting of small, low power, wearable, implantable or ingestible devices. Integrated with various biomedical sensors or actuators, these devices basically provide data communication paths between the human body and the external world. As such, they are regarded as the fundamental components in IoT-Health. Knowledge of the radio frequency propagation on the surface, or inside the human body is the first step in understanding the communication channel among wearables or medical implants. However, physical experiment is extremely difficult, if not impossible, for scenarios involving the human body. Using a 3D computational human body model, an immersive visualization platform has been developed at the Applied and Computational Mathematics Division of ITL to study the wireless channels between wearables, implants and ingestible devices. Using this platform, the objective of this project is to conduct an in-depth study of the communication channels in body area networks for various physiological monitoring applications.
- K. Krhac, K. Sayrafian, U. Bengi, S. Dumanli-Oktar, “A Wearable Wireless Monitoring System for the Detection of Pulmonary Edema”, IEEE Global Communications Conference (IEEE GLOBECOM), Madrid, Spain, Dec. 7-11, 2021
- G. Sahonero-Alvarez, A. K. Singh, K. Sayrafian, L. Bianchi, A. Roman-Gonzalez, “A Functional BCI Model by the P2731 Working Group: Transducer”, Brain-Computer Interfaces Journal, Sept. 8, 2021, (DOI: 10.1080/2326263X.2021.1968633)
- M. Särestöniemi, C. Pomalaza-Raez, K. Sayrafian, J. Iinatti, “In-Body Propagation at ISM and UWB Frequencies for Abdominal Monitoring Applications”, IEEE International Conference on Communications (IEEE ICC), IoT-Health Workshop, June 14-23, 2021
- K. Krhac, K. Sayarafian, M. Alasti, K. Yazdandoost, D. Simunic, “A Study of Capsule Endoscopy Orientation Estimation at UWB frequencies”, 29th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (IEEE PIMRC), Bologna, Italy, Sept. 9-11, 2018
- S. Perez-Simbor, K. Krhac, C. Garcia-Pardo, K. Sayrafian, D. Simunic, N. Cardona, “Impact of Measurement Points Distribution on the Parameters of UWB Implant Channel Model”, 4th Annual IEEE Conference on Standards for Communications and Networking (IEEE CSCN), Granada, Spain, Oct. 29-31, 2018
- M. Barbi, K. Sayrafian, M. Alasti, “Application of Link Adaptation in Body Area Networks”, 28th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (IEEE PIMRC), Montreal, Canada, Oct. 8-13, 2017