Process-structure-property linkages suggest an opportunity to deduce processing from behavior. Simple imaging experiments provide rich sources of data. Can we deduce prior deformation?
Scheme: Thin film plasticity
- Deform to some reference strain
- Deform to test strain, image
- Deduce reference strain from test-strain image
Relation to AI
- This is an image classification problem
- Lots of good tools for doing AI/ML with images
- Next step is regression
- Deduce arbitrary prior strain, not just which “bucket”
- Include uncertainties
- Microstructure encodes history.
- Response to loads is accessible at high resolution and relevant to mechanics.
- Machine learning on images is mature, therefore we can build an ML scheme which ingests image data from mechanical tests, and which infers sample deformation history.