- Receive specimens from permitted field studies from representative species suitable for real-time and retrospective monitoring of chemical contaminants and health-related research studies. Preference is given to animals, locations, or projects that have the advantage of multiple collaborators that are acquiring additional information on the turtles (e.g., mark/recapture tagging, satellite tagging, time/depth recording, foraging studies, stable isotope, genetics, population abundance studies, aging, etc). This objective is meant to obtain the most information from each turtle "take".
- Transport, inventory, homogenize, subsample, and archive samples in conditions that are suitable for long-term storage and eventual analysis for contaminants and health-related research.
- Analyze samples for contaminants and health-related research.
- Make the collection inventory accessible to other researchers and provide samples to researchers from approved research projects consistent with the goals of BEMAST.
Ongoing Sample Analysis:
- Persistent Organic Pollutants