Polymers and polymer-nanoparticle complexes for applications to nanoparticle health and safety, medical imaging, and therapeutics. In particular, the structure of polymers with long-range interactions (polyelectrolytes) as probed by light, X-ray, and neutron scattering methods. Also, the cooperative and self-diffusion of polyelectrolytes as probed by dynamic light scattering, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, and neutron spin-echo spectroscopy.
- 2015 -present: Project Leader, Polyelectrolyte Solutions and Gels
- 2007-2013:Project Leader, Nanoparticle Assembly
- 2003-2010: Project Leader, Polymers for Next Generation Lithography
- 2003-Present: Chemical Engineer, Materials Science and Engineering Division (Polymers Division)
- 2001-2003: NRC-NIST Postdoctoral Fellow, Polymers Division
Awards and Honors:
- MML Grass Roots Safety Award (2014)
- Sigma Xi Young Investigator Award (2010)
- NIST Slichter Award (2007)
- National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering (2005)
- NRC-NIST Postdoctoral Fellowship (2001-2003)
- NIH Chemistry-Biology Interface fellowship (1999-2001)
Recent External Service:
- Chair, CNMS User Executive Committee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (2014).
- SRC Member, Neutron Sciences, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (2014-2017)
- Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) User Executive Committee,Oak Ridge National Laboratory(2011-2015).
- Program Advisory Committee, SPIE Microlithography Conference (2006-2010).
Recent Invited Presentations:
- "Hierarchical structure and dynamics of triblock copolymer solutions." Gordon Research Conference on Colloids, Macromolecular and Polyelectrolyte solutions, Ventura, CA 2/10/2016.
- "Aqueous self-assembly fundamentals of functional triblock copolymers." PSE Colloquium, University of Massachusetts-Amherst 11/6/2015.
- Workshop on "Structure and Dynamics in Soft Matter Systems" at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Talk title: Structure in aqueous polymer solutions: neutron and light scattering. 9/1/2015.
- "Future and Current Use of Neutron Spin-Echo Spectroscopy in Condensed Matter Research Workshop" at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Talk title: Hierarchical structure and dynamics of triblock copolymer gels: opportunities for neutron spin-echo spectroscopy. 5/13-14/2015
- US-Japan Workshop on Standards for Emerging Technologies under Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) –NIST Memorandum of Understanding. Tokyo, Japan. 2/13/15
- Polymer & Networks Group, Tokyo Japan. Title: Structure and Self Assembly of thermoreversible triblock copolymer hydrogels. 11/12/2014
- In situ electrochemical small-angle neutron scattering for quantitative structure and redox properties of nanoparticles, Electrochemical Society, Orlando 14 May 2014
44.V.M. Prabhu et al. "Equilibrium self-assembly, structure and dynamics of clusters of star-like micelles," ACS Macro Letters, 4, 1128 (2015).
43.V.M. Prabhu et al. "Star-like structure of oligocarbonate-fluorene end-functionalized poly(ethylene glycol) ABA triblock copolymers below the gel point." Macromolecular Symposia, 358, 157-169 (2015).
42.S Venkataraman, AL Lee,HT Maune, JL Hedrick, VM Prabhu, YY Yang, Formation of Disk- and Stacked-Disk-like Self-Assembled Morphologies from Cholesterol-Functionalized Amphiphilic Polycarbonate Diblock Copolymers, Macromolecules, 46(12), 4839 (2013).
41. R.E. Cavicchi, D.C. Meier, C. Presser, V.M. Prabhu, S. Guha, Single Laser Pulse Effects on Suspended-Au-Nanoparticle Size Distributions and Morphology, J. Phys. Chem. C 117(20), 10866-10875 (2013).
40. N Shin, J Kang, LJ Richter, VM Prabhu, RJ Kline, DA Fischer, DM DeLongchamp, MF Toney, SK Satija, DJ Gundlach, B Purushothaman, JE Anthony, DY Yoon "Vertically Segregated Structure and Properties of Small Molecule–Polymer Blend Semiconductors for Organic Thin-Film Transistors" Advanced Functional Materials 23 (3) 366-376 (2013).
39.VM Prabhu, S Kang, J Sha, PV Bonnesen, SK Satija, WL Wu, CK Ober,"Neutron Reflectivity Characterization of the Photoacid Reaction-Diffusion Latent and Developed Images of Molecular Resists for Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography," Langmuir,28,7665(2012).
37.VM Prabhu, S Kang, RJ Kline, DM DeLongchamp, DA Fischer, WL Wu, SK Satija, PV Bonnesen, J Sha, CK Ober,"Characterization of the Non-uniform Reaction in Chemically Amplified Calixresorcinarene Molecular Resist Thin Films," Aus. J. of Chem., 64, 1065(2011).
36. YS Chung, N Shin, J Kang, Y Jo, VM Prabhu, SK Satija, RJ Kline, DM DeLongchamp, MF Toney, MA Loth, B Purushothaman, JE Anthony, DY Yoon, "Zone-refinement effect in small molecule-polymer blend semiconductors for organic thin-film transistors," J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 133, 414 (2011).
35. KA Lavery, VM Prabhu, S Satija, WL Wu, "Lateral uniformity in chemical composition along a buried reaction front in polymers using off-specular reflectivity," J. of Physics-Condensed Matter, 22, 474001 (2010).
33. RJ Murphy, D Pristinski, K Migler, JF Douglas, VM Prabhu, "Dynamic light scattering investigations of nanoparticle aggregation following a light-induced pH jump," Journal of Chemical Physics, 132, 194903(2010).
32. S Kang, VM Prabhu, CL Soles, EK Lin, W-L Wu, "Characterization of the Photoacid Diffusion Length and Reaction Kinetics in EUV Photoresists with IR Spectroscopy," Macromolecules, 43(9), 4275-4286 (2010).
31. J Sha, J-K Lee, S Kang, VM Prabhu, CL Soles, PV Bonnesen and CK Ober, "Architectural effects on acid reaction-diffusion kinetics in molecular glass photoresists," Chemistry of Materials, 22 (10), 3093–3098(2010).
29. DL VanderHart, VM Prabhu, A De Silva, NM Felix, and CK Ober, "Solid state NMR investigations of photoresist molecular glasses including blend behavior with a photoacid generator," Journal of Materials Chemistry, 19, 2683(2009).
27. DL VanderHart, VM Prabhu, K Lavery, C Dennis, A Rao, and EK Lin, "Thin film solid-state NMR measurements using a synthetic mica substrate: polymer blends," Journal of Magnetic Resonance, 201(1), 100-110(2009).
26. WE Wallace, KM Flynn, CM Guttman, DL VanderHart, VM Prabhu, A De Silva, NM Felix, CK Ober, "Quantitative Measurement of the Polydispersity in the Extent of Functionalization of Two Glass Forming Resorcinarenes, Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry," 23(13), 1957(2009).
24. J Kang, N Shin, DY Jang, VM Prabhu, DY Yoon, "Structure and Properties of Small Molecule-Polymer Blend Semiconductors for Organic Thin Film Transistors," Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130, 12273-12275(2008).
23. K A Lavery, VM Prabhu, EK Lin, W-L Wu, SK Satija, K-W Choi, M Wormington, "Lateral length scales of latent image roughness as determined by off-specular neutron reflectivity," Applied Physics Letters, 92(1), 064106(2008).
22. VM Prabhu, BD Vogt, S Kang, A Rao, EK Lin, SK Satija, "Direct measurement of the spatial extent of the in situ developed latent image by neutron reflectivity," Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 25(6)2514-2520(2007).
21.S Kang, BD Vogt, W-L Wu, VM Prabhu, DL VanderHart, A Rao, EK Lin, and K Turnquest, "Characterization of compositional heterogeneity in chemically amplified photoresist polymer thin films with infrared spectroscopy," Macromolecules, 40,1497-1503(2007).
20. BD Vogt, S Kang, VM Prabhu, A Rao, EK Lin, W-L Wu, S K Satija, and K Turnquest, "Influence of base additives on the reaction diffusion front of model chemically amplified photoresists," Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 25,175-182(2007).
19. VM Prabhu, S Sambasivan, D Fischer, LK Sundberg, and RD Allen, "Quantitative depth profiling of photoacid generators in photoresist materials by near-edge x-ray absorption fine structure spectroscopy," Applied Surface Science, 253(2), 1010-1014 (2006).
18. K Lavery, BD Vogt, VM Prabhu, K-W Choi, EK Lin, W-L Wu, S Satija, "Exposure dose effects on the reaction-diffusion process in model EUV photoresists," Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 24, 3044-3048 (2006).
17. BD Vogt, S Kang, VM Prabhu, EK Lin, SK Satija, K Turnquest, and W-L Wu, "Measurements of the reaction-diffusion front of model chemically amplified photoresists with varying photoacid size," Macromolecules, 39, 8311-8317(2006).
15. S Kang, V M Prabhu, B D Vogt, EK Lin, W-L Wu, K Turnquest, "Copolymer fraction effect on acid catalyzed deprotection reaction kinetics in model 193 nm photoresists," Polymer, 47(18),6293-6302(2006).
13. BD Vogt, HJ Lee, VM Prabhu, DM DeLongchamp, EK Lin, W-L Wu, SK Satija, "X-ray and neutron reflectivity measurements of moisture transport through model multilayered barrier films for flexible displays," Journal of Applied Physics, 97(11) 114509(2005).
12. BD Vogt, CL Soles, CY Wang, VM Prabhu, PM McGuiggan, JF Douglas, EK Lin, W-L Wu, SK Satija, DL Goldfarb, M Angelopoulos, "Water immersion of model photoresists: interfacial influences on water concentration and surface morphology," Journal of Microlithography Microfabrication and Microsystems, 4 (1) 013003(2005).
10. VM Prabhu, BD Vogt, W-L Wu, JF Douglas, EK Lin, SK Satija, DL Goldfarb, H Ito, "Direct measurement of the counterion distribution within swollen polyelectrolyte films," Langmuir, 21(15), 6647-6651(2005).
9. N Noda, Y-H Lee, AJ Bur, VM Prabhu, CR Snyder, SC Roth, M McBrearty, "Dielectric properties of nylon 6/clay nanocomposites from on-line process monitoring and off-line measurements," Polymer, 46 (18), 7201-7217(2005).
7. DL VanderHart, VM Prabhu, EK Lin, "Proton NMR determination of miscibility in a bulk model photoresist system: Poly(4-hydroxystyrene) and the photoacid generator, di(t-butylphenyl) iodonium perfluorooctane sulfonate," Chemistry of Materials, 16 (16), 3074-3084 (2004).
6. RL Jones, VM Prabhu, DL Goldfarb, EK Lin, CL Soles, JL Lenhart, W-L Wu, and M Angelopoulos, "Correlation of the reaction front with roughness in chemically amplified photoresists," ACS Symposium Series, Polymers for Microelectronics and Nanoelectronics, Oxford University Press, Washington DC, 874, 86-97(2004).
5. VM Prabhu, EK Lin, "Advanced Measurements for Photoresist Fundamentals," Semiconductor Fabtech International Quarterly, 24, 99-103 (2004).
4. EL Jablonski, VM Prabhu, S Sambasivan, EK Lin, DA Fischer, DL Goldfarb, M Angelopoulos, H Ito, "Near edge x-ray absorption fine structure measurements of surface segregation in 157 nm photoresist blends," Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 21(6) 3162-3165(2003)
1. VM Prabhu, M Muthukumar, GD Wignall, YB Melnichenko, "Dimensions of polyelectrolyte chains and concentration fluctuations in semi dilute solutions of sodium-poly(styrene sulfonate) as measured by small-angle neutron scattering," Polymer, 42, 8935-8946 (2001).