Research Interests: Advanced sensors and imaging, image processing, computer and machine vision, data mining and pattern recognition.
Research Projects: Biosciences and Laboratory Diagnosis
- P. Bajcsy, S. Yoon, S. J. Florczyk, N. Hotaling, M. Simon, P. Szczypinski, N. Schaub, C. G. Simon Jr., M. C. Brady, and R. D. Sriram, “Modeling, Validation and Verification of Three-Dimensional Cell-Scaffold Contacts from Terabyte-sized Images,” BMC Bioinformatics, November 2017, 18:526.
B. A. Pazmino-Betancourt, S. J. Florczyk, M. Simon, D. Juba, J. F. Douglas, W. Keyrouz, P. Bajcsy, C. Lee and C. G. Simon, Jr. , “Effect of the Scaffold Microenvironment on Cell Polarizability and Capacitance Determined by Probabilistic Computations,” Biomedical Materials, BMM-101918.R1
S. J. Florczyk, M. Simon, D. Juba, P. S. Pine, S. Sarkar, D. Chen, P. J. Baker, S. Bodhak, M. C. Brady, Peter Bajcsy, and C. G. Simon, Jr., “A Bioinformatics 3D Cellular Morphotyping Strategy for Assessing Biomaterial Scaffold Niches,” ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, August 2017.
J. Chalfoun, M. Majurski, T. Blattner, W. Keyrouz, P. Bajcsy, and M. C. Brady, “MIST Accurate and Scalable Microscopy Image Stitching Method with Stage Modeling and Error Minimization”, Nature Scientific Reports, July 2017.
- P. Manescu, Y. Lee, C. Camp, M. Cicerone, M. Brady, and P. Bajcsy, “Accurate and Interpretable Classification of Microspectroscopy Pixels Using Artificial Neural Networks,” Elsevier Medical Image Analysis, Volume 37, April 2017, Pages 37–45.
- A. Vandecreme, M. Majurski, J. Chalfoun, K. Scott, J-H. J. Scott, M. Brady, and P. Bajcsy, “From Image Tiles to Web-Based Interactive Measurements in One Stop,” Microscopy Today, Microscopy Today, 25:1, January 2017.
- P. Bajcsy, A. Vandecreme, J. Amelot, J. Chalfoun, M. Majurski, and M. Brady, "Enabling Stem Cell Characterization from Large Coverage Microscopy,” IEEE Computer, 2016: vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 70-79.
Books and Book Chapters:
- P. Bajcsy, J. Chalfoun, M. Simon, “Web Microanalysis of Big Image Data,” Springer-Verlag International, February 2018, p. 197.
- P. Bajcsy, K. McHenry, and R. Kooper, "Interaction between Objects Born in Digital and Physical Spaces," in in Pervasive Adaptation book on the Next Generation Pervasive Computing Research Agenda, A. Ferscha, Ed. Seattle, Washington: A book by Th. Sc. Community, Johannes Kepler University Linz, 2011, p. 80.
- W. McFadden, R. Kooper, S.-C. Lee, and P. Bajcsy, "Comprehensive and Scalable Appraisals of Contemporary Documents," in in Applications of Machine Learning, Y. Zhang, Ed. IN-TECH, 2010, pp. 87–108.
- P. Bajcsy and R. Kooper, "Integration of Data Across Disparate Sensing Systems Over Both Time and Space to Design Smart Environments," in in Sustainable Radio Frequency Identification Solutions, no. 1, C. Turcu, Ed. IN-TECH, 2010, pp. 281–306.
- E. Kwee, A. Peterson, J. Stinson, M. Halter, L. Yu, M. Majurski, J. Chalfoun, P. Bajcsy, and J. Elliott, “Large Field of View Quantitative Phase Imaging of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells and Optical Pathlength Reference Materials,” Quantitative Phase Imaging IV, SPIE 2018, 28 - 30 January 2018.
N. Hotaling, M. Simon, M. Ouladi, N. Schaub, T. Uddin, P. Manickam, D. Ortolan, H. Zhao, J. Chalfoun, P. Bajcsy, and K. Bharti, “REShAPE – A Cloud-Computing Based Cell Morphometry Analyzer for Development of a Release Criteria of Clinical Grade Retinal Pigment Epithelium,” Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2017;58(8):396; The 2017 ARVO Annual Meeting, held in Baltimore, MD, May 7-11, 2017.
- M. Simon, J. Chalfoun, M. Brady, and P. Bajcsy, “Do We Trust Image Measurements? Variability, Accuracy and Traceability of Image Features,” IEEE International Conference on Big Data, Washington DC, December 5-8, 2016.
- P. Bajcsy, A. Vandecreme, and M. Brady, “Interactive Web-based Spatio-Statistical Image Modeling from Gigapixel Images to Improve Discovery and Traceability of Published Statistical Models,” Microscopy and Microanalyses, Columbus, Ohio. July 24-28, 2016.
- M. Majurski, J. Chalfoun, S. Lund, P. Bajcsy, and M. Brady, "Methodology for Increasing Image Feature Measurement Accuracy", CVPR Workshop entitled “Computer Vision for Microscopy Image Analysis”, July 1, 2016, Las Vegas, Nevada.
“Large Scale Microscopy Imaging for Precision Medicine,” Imaging for Precision Medicine Workshop, NIST Gaithersburg, May 3-4, 2017.
“Large Scale Imaging and Interactive Traceable Analyses,” National Geospatial Agency, Springfield, Virginia, May 19, 2017.
“Measurements Over Terascale Microscopy Images, “NIST Software and Systems Division, ITL NIST, Gaithersburg, June 27, 2017.
“Enabling Stem Cell Characterization from Large Microscopy Images,” Computer Vision in Microscopy Image Analysis (CVMI) at CVPR 2017, Honolulu, HI, July 21, 2017.
“Does every image pixel matter in TB-sized images?” SciX conference organized by the Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Societies (FACSS), October 8-13, 2017 Reno, NV.
Quotes About My Work
- The International Science Grid This Week (iSGTW), "Feature - Digital visual inspection," by Miriam Boon, Issue 203: iSGTW 1 December 2010; URL: http://www.isgtw.org/feature/digital-visual-inspection
- The New York Times, "Digital Keys for Unlocking the Humanities' Riches," By Patricia Cohen Published: November 16, 2010; on-line http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/arts/17digital.html?_r=1
- The New York Times, "From 'Avatar' Playbook, Athletes Use 3-D Imaging," by James Glanz and Alan Schwarz, Published: October 2, 2010 on-line at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/sports/03reality.html?_r=1, and October 3, 2010, (the Sunday issue) on page A1 of the New York edition of NY Times.
- Futurity, "Real-time action in a virtual world" by Erika Strebel-Illinois posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 15:57; see http://futurity.org/top-stories/real-time-action-in-a-virtual-world/
- NCSA Headline News, "NCSA researchers create interactive virtual learning space," March 25, 2009, http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/News/09/0325NCSAresearchers.html
- HPCWire, The Next Big Thing in Humanities, Arts and Social Science Computing: 18thConnect by Kevin Franklin and Karen Rodriguez, November 24, 2008, http://www.hpcwire.com/features/The_Next_Big_Thing_in_Humanities_Arts_and_Social_Science_Computing_18thConnect_35010199.html
- NCSA Headline News, "Students embark on Google Summer of Code projects with NCSA," June 16-17, 2008, SupercomputingOnline.com: http://www.supercomputingonline.com/print.php?sid=15764
- NCSA Headline News, "3D volume reconstruction technique improves accuracy and performance", December 6, 2006, http://access.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Stories/nuggets/uveal.html
- Talbot D. "The Fading Memory of the State," MIT Technology Review, July 2005, TechnologyReview.com, the article is published and web accessible at: http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/07/issue/feature_memory.asp
NIST Material Measurement Laboratory (MML) Accolade 2015, Cross-division/Cross-OU Teamwork; June 17, 2015.
Department of Commerce Bronze Medal Award, December 13, 2017.