Mahir Mohiuddin, Ph.D. is a member of the Cell Systems Science Group under the supervision of John T. Elliott. Mahir received his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology & Emory University. Previously, at the joint Georgia Tech/Emory biomedical engineering program, Mahir worked on stem cell therapies for skeletal muscle pathologies, focusing his dissertation on metabolic reprogramming and mitochondrial engineering to enhance the bioenergetic function of the diseased skeletal muscle.
At NIST, Mahir is a guest researcher through Johns Hopkins University/NIST PREP (Professional Research Experience Program). He is developing bioprocessing pipelines involved in cell culture expansion and assay measurements as quality control assessments, using genetically engineered T-cells and stem cells as model systems.
- Cell manufacturing
- Stem cell therapies
- Bioprocessing and automation technologies
- Cell viability and phenotypic measurements
- Preservation of cell-based reference materials
- Larouche JA, Mohiuddin M, Choi JJ, Ulintz PJ, Fraczek P, Sabin K, Pitchiaya S, Kurpiers SJ, Castor-Macias J, Liu W, Hastings RL, Brown LA, Markworth JF, Silva KD, Levi BD, Merajver SD, Valdez G, Chakkalakal JV, Jang YC, Brooks SV, and Aguilar CA (2021). Murine muscle stem cell response to perturbations of the neuromuscular junction are attenuated with aging. eLife. doi:10.7554/eLife.66749.sa2
- Lee Y, Choi JJ, Ahn SI, Lee NH, Han WM, Mohiuddin M, Shin EJ, Wood L, Park KD, Kim YT, and Jang YC (2020). Engineered heterochronic parabiosis in 3D microphysiological system for identification of muscle rejuvenating factors. Advanced Functional Materials. doi:10.1002/adfm.202002924
- Ekwueme EC, Rao R, Mohiuddin M, Pellegrini M, Lee YS, Reiter MP, Jackson J, Freeman JW (2019). Single-walled carbon nanohorns modulate tenocyte cellular response and tendon biomechanics. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B. doi:10.1002/jbm.b.34532
- Wu B, Fathi S, Mortley S, Mohiuddin M, Jang YC, and Oyelere A (2020). Pyrimethamine conjugated histone deacetylase inhibitors: design, synthesis and evidence for triple negative breast cancer selective cytotoxicity. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry. doi:10.1016/j.bmc.2020.115345.
- Han WM, Mohiuddin M, Anderson SE, García AJ, and Jang YC (2019). Co-delivery of Wnt7a and muscle stem cells using synthetic bioadhesive hydrogel enhances murine muscle regeneration and cell migration during engraftment. Acta Biomaterialia. doi:10.1016/j.actbio.2019.06.025
- Mohiuddin M, Lee NH, Moon JY, Han WM, Anderson SA, Choi JJ, Nakhai SA, Tran T, Aliya B, Gerold A, Hansen L, Taylor WR, and Jang YC (2019). Critical limb ischemia induces remodeling of skeletal muscle motor unit, myonuclear-, and mitochondrial-domains. Scientific Reports. doi:10.1038/s41598-019-45923-4.
- Anderson SE, Han WM, Srinivasa V, Mohiuddin M, Ruehle MA, Moon JY, Shin E, San Emeterio CL, Ogle ME, Botchwey EA, Willett NJ, and Jang YC (2019). Determination of a critical size threshold for volumetric muscle loss in the mouse quadriceps. Tissue Engineering: Part C, bioRxiv. doi:10.1089/ten.tec.2018.0324
- Han WM, Anderson SE, Mohiuddin M, Barros D, Nakhai SA, Shin E, Amaral IF, Pêgo AP, García AJ, and Jang YC (2018). Synthetic matrix enhances transplanted satellite cell engraftment in dystrophic and aged skeletal muscle with comorbid trauma. Science Advances. doi:10.1126/sciadv.aar4008
- Ekwueme EC, Choi B, Cody FY, Rao R, Pellegrini M, Mohiuddin M, and Freeman JW (2017). Sub-failure stretch injury response in rat Achilles tendon. Regenerative Engineering and Translational Medicine. doi:10.1007/s40883-017-0043-x
- Ekwueme EC, Mohiuddin M, Yarborough JA, Brolinson PG, Docheva D, Fernandes HAM, and Freeman JW (2017). Prolotherapy induces an inflammatory response in human tenocytes in vitro. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. doi:10.1007/s11999-017-5407-5
- Ekwueme EC, Shah JV, Mohiuddin M, Ghebes CA, Crispim JF, Saris DBF, Fernandes HAM, and Freeman JW (2015). Cross-talk between human tenocytes and bone marrow stromal cells potentiates extracellular matrix remodeling in vitro. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. doi:10.1002/jcb.25353