John W. Hettenhouser
John W. Hettenhouser is a physical science technician in the Polymeric Materials Group of the Materials and Structural Systems Division (MSSD) of the Engineering Laboratory (EL) at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). As an Engineering Technician, Mr. Hettenhouser designs new instruments for the principal investigators of the Polymeric Materials Group, in their research aims. He also upgrades existing test equipment, and oversees and coordinates the manufacturing of components for test instruments. Additionally, Mr. Hettenhouser performs preventative maintenance on the integrated SPHERE (Simulated Photodegradation by High Energy Radiant Exposure) and its support systems.
Honors and Activities:
- 2009 BFRL Staff Support Award
- Crittenden Award, 2005
- Certificate of Appreciation from the Archivist of the United States in Recognition of the Contribution Made to the Re-encasement of the Charters of Freedom
- NIST Bronze Metal, US Charters of Freedom Encasement Project (U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights)
- Commendation Performance Under Difficult Conditions (the first Iraq war) in support of Desert Shield, Department of the Army
- Commendation for Exceptional Performance in the Fabrication of 800 sets of Laser filters in support of Desert Storm, Department of the Army
- Commendation for Exceptional Performance in the Fabrication of 100 sets of Mounts in support of Desert Storm, Department of the Army
- Commendation for Efforts in Developing the Full Potential of the Traveling Wire Electrical Discharge Machine
- Commendation for Contributions to the Design, Fabrication, and Test of the Multi-Option Fuse, Department of the Army
- Commendation for Performance above and beyond the call of duty on the MOFA and Scout Optics Projects, Department of the Army
- Commendation for Outstanding Performance as a Model Maker Department of the Army 3rd Time Award
- Certificate of Achievement for Safety United States Army
- Zarr, R.R.; Flynn, D.R.; Hettenhouser, J.W.; Brandenburg, N.J.; Healy, W.M., Fabrication of a Guarded-Hot-Plate Apparatus for Use Over an Extended Temperature Range and in a Controlled Gas Atmosphere, International Thermal Conductivity 28th Conference/International Thermal Expansion 16th Symposium, Proceedings, June 26-29, 2005, New Brunswick, Canada, DEStech Publications, Inc., Dinwiddie, R.; White, M.A.; McElroy, D.L., Editors, 235-245 pp, 2005.
- Kim, J.H., Hettenhouser, J.W., Moon, C.K., Holmes, G.A., A Fiber Placement Device and Methodology for Preparing 2-D and 3-D Combinatorial Microcomposites, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), 2005.