- Research Biologist, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Charleston, SC, 1997-Present
- Research Chemist, National Marine Fisheries, Charleston, SC, 1995-1997
- Assistant Research Scientist (Postdoc), Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, Univ. of Maryland, Solomons, MD, 1992-1995
- Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant, Univ. of South Carolina, 1988-1992
- Teaching Assistant, Univ. of North Carolina, Wilmington, NC, 1988
- Research Fellow, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Develop., 1987-1988
- Staff Biologist, Mote Marine Laboratory, Sarasota, FL 1983-1986
- Ph.D., Marine Science, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 1992
- M.S., Marine Biology, Univ. of North Carolina at Wilmington, Wilmington, NC, 1988
- B.S., Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, OH, 1983
Dr. John Kucklick is the leader of the Environmental Chemical Sciences Group of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and has been with NIST since 1997. His group is located at the multi-institution Hollings Marine Laboratory in Charleston, South Carolina and is part of the Chemical Sciences Division located both in Charleston and in Gaithersburg, MD. Dr. Kucklick has expertise in environmental measurement particularly in the area of contaminants of emerging concern, environmental chemistry, and assessing the bioaccumulation of organic pollutants in aquatic organisms. Current research includes the screening of environmental samples for new contaminants using comprehensive gas chromatography mass spectrometry, assessing exposure of people to plasticizers and assessing time trends of pollutants in Arctic animals. His lab supports NOAA's efforts in gauging pollution effects on marine mammals by providing exposure data on pollutant levels in marine mammal blood, milk and blubber. His group is actively engaged in developing reference materials and methods for the analysis of environmental samples for multiple classes of contaminants including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, plasticizers, perfluorinated chemicals, legacy organochlorine compounds, current-use flame retardants, trace elements, speciated trace elements, hormones, lipidomics and metalomics. He has authored about 90 peer-reviewed papers, 42 peer-reviewed reports or book chapters and is associate editor of Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology.
Professional Awards and Recognition:
- National Institute of Standards and Technology Technical Achievement Award, 2004
- U.S. Department of Commerce Silver Medal, 2012
- Associate editor for Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 2013-Present
- Agency Representative for the Federal Working Group on Exposure Science, 2013-Present
- Agency Representative for the Interagency Cooperative Committee on Oil Pollution Research, 2010-Present
- Hollings Marine Laboratory Science Board, 2002-Present
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemical Advisory Group Steering Committee, 2010-Present
- The American Chemical Society, 1989-2012
- The Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 1989-Present
- Adjunct Appointments
- The College of Charleston, 1997-Present
- The Medical University of South Carolina, 2000-Present
- Florida State University, 2005-Present
- The University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 2001-Present
- Dr. Kucklick has been the principal advisor for six post docs, eight masters and Ph.D. students, on the advisory committee member for 18 graduate students and has advised 10 summer undergraduate students.
If you or your institution subscribe to the journal cited below, clicking on the link should take you to a page from which you can access the reference.
- Kucklick, J.R., Schantz, M.M., Pugh, R.S., Porter, B.J., Poster, D.L., Becker, P.R., Rowles, T.K., Leigh, S., and Wise, S.A., Marine Mammal Blubber Reference and Control Materials for Use in the Determination of Halogenated Organic Compounds and Fatty Acids, Anal. Bioanalytical Chem., 397:423–432, 2010.
- Kucklick, J.R., Schwacke, L., Wells, R., Hohn, A., Guichard, A., Yordy, J., Hansen, L., Zolman, E., Wilson, R. Litz, J., Nowacek, D. Rowles, T. Pugh, R., Balmer, B., Sinclair, C. Rosel, P., Bottlenose Dolphins as Indicators of Persistent Organic Pollutants in the Western North Altantic Ocean and Northern Gulf of Mexico, Environmental Science and Technology, 45: 4270-4277, 2011.
- Bowden J.A., Bangma J.T., Kucklick J.R., Development of an Automated Multi-Injection Shotgun Lipidomics Approach Using a Triple Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer, Lipids, 49: 609-19, 2014.