Schedule (subject to change):
07:30 – Registration
08:00 – Introduction: goal of the workshop, logistics
08:15 – Participant self-introduction
08:30 – Summary of robotics challenges where M&S can come into play (Fox, using participant-provided input)
09:30 – Summary of perceived state of the art in M&S (Negrut, using participant-provided input)
10:00 – Coffee/Snack Break
10:30 – Breakout, Topic 1: M&S needs in Robotics. Identify a “wish list” in relation to:
- Machine learning aspects
- Sensor simulation
- Virtual world simulation
- Communication simulation
- Networking and distributed computing
11:15 – Joint session. Each group summarizes its thinking on issues related to Topic 1. General discussion.
12:00 – Lunch (onsite, catered)
12:30 – Breakout, Topic 2: Issues that continue to hinder M&S in Robotics. Suggested discussion points:
- Nonsmooth dynamics (friction/contact/impact)
- Soft robotics (nonlinear geometry/nonlinear material/nonlinear boundary conditions)
- Multi-physics (CFD, plasticity)
- Central repository of standardized, shared models
- Open-source issues
13:15 – Joint session. Each group summarizes its thinking on issues related to Topic 2. General discussion.
14:00 – Coffee/Snack Break
14:30 – Breakout, Topic 3: Concrete and immediate measures/steps. Possible breakthroughs. Speculations about disruptive technologies vis-à-vis the issue of M&S in Robotics. Suggested discussion points:
- Prioritization aspects. Best return on investment avenues, low hanging fruit
- “The long view” issues
- Imminent landscape changes
- What is the role of industry (video-games, VR, AR)? What/How can we leverage?
15:15 – Joint session. Each group summarizes its thinking on issues related to Topic 3. General discussion.
16:00 – Coffee/Snack Break
16:15 – The “big picture”, open-floor discussion. Next steps (blue ribbon report and journal paper).
17:00 – Wrap up