NIST is soliciting applications from eligible applicants to demonstrate the usage of federated online identity solutions for patients and providers across multiple healthcare providers (e.g., provider groups, regional healthcare systems, hospital systems). Specifically, projects must:
- Pilot a federated credential solution in which at least two hospitals or regional healthcare systems accept a federated, verified identity that leverages multi-factor authentication and an effective identity proofing process.
- Enable online access to at least two organizationally separate healthcare organizations.
- Demonstrate that the federated credential solution aligns with the Identity Ecosystem Framework Requirements.
- Allow for interoperability with other identity federations in the healthcare sector and, where possible, other sectors.
- Include collecting metrics and other information about the implementation of the federated credential solution that can contribute to a best practices guidance document.
The project partners must provide data on how they implemented the solution and how it performed, ultimately contributing to a jointly published document that can serve as a guide for other healthcare systems. NIST will collaborate with the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which will participate in the review of applications and provide technical support regarding implementation and operation of the pilot.