This workshop program has several objectives:
- Disseminate findings from three recent interlaboratory studies based on ASTM standards (E2524, E2526, and WK8705) and using the recently released NIST nanosize gold reference materials and two PAMAM dendrimers.
- Assessment of current activities on standardization for nanomaterial characterization, development of nanoscale reference materials, and prioritization of standards needs for physicochemical, in vitro and in vivo characterization and risk assessment.
- Formation of an international network of qualified and willing testing laboratories to facilitate future interlaboratory studies and protocol development
- Demonstration and deployment of prototype software for electronic development of pre-standards protocols and for management of interlaboratory studies to support standards and protocol development
- Prioritization and generation of projects by the workshop participants to develop several new protocols and interlaboratory studies
- Establishment of preliminary guidelines for the operation and management of the testing laboratory network and interactive electronic portal