The thermal performance of fire resistive materials is controlled by their density, thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and any reactions that may occur during their exposure to a fire. Measuring these properties for heterogeneous FRMs over a range of temperatures from 23 ºC to 1000 ºC and higher is difficult and requires technical approaches beyond those conventionally employed in analytical labs. This chapter explores some of these new approaches, such as calculating thermal conductivity based on a detailed analysis of three-dimensional microstructure and measuring it using a simple steel slug calorimeter experimental setup in a high temperature furnace.
(1) D.P. Bentz, K.R. Prasad, J.C. Yang, Fire and Materials 30 (4) 311-321 (2006) .
(2) D.P. Bentz, P.M. Halleck, M.N. Clarke, E.J. Garboczi, and A.S. Grader, Proceedings of the ASCE/SEI Spring 2005 Structures Congress
(3) K.M. Butler, National Institute of Standards and Technology Internal Report 6894, Technology Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce (2002).
(4) D.P. Bentz, D.R. Flynn, J.H. Kim and R.R. Zarr, Fire and Materials 30 (4) 257-270 (2006).
(5) D.P. Bentz, Thermal Conductivity 28/Thermal Expansion 16, DesTech Publications, Lancaster, PA, 161-170, 2006.
(6) D.P. Bentz, ASTM Journal of Testing and Evaluation , 35 (3) 240-244 (2007).
(7) C.T. Do, D.P. Bentz, and P.E. Stutzman, Journal of Building Physics , 31 (1) 55-67 (2007).
(8) D.P. Bentz and K.R. Prasad, NISTIR 7401, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 2007.
(9) K.R. Prasad and D.P. Bentz, NISTIR 7482, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 2008.
(10) D.P. Bentz, P.S. Gaal, and D. Stroe Gaal, Thermal Conductivity 29/Thermal Expansion 17, DesTech Publications, Lancaster, PA, 402-411, 2008.
(11) D.P. Bentz, C.C. White, K.R. Prasad, D.R. Flynn, D.L. Hunston, and K.T. Tan, Journal of ASTM International, 6 (5), 2009.
(12) D.P. Bentz, L.M. Hanssen, and B. Wilthan, NISTIR 7576, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, 2009.
(13) D.P. Bentz and C.W. White, Modern Steel Construction, 49-52, October 2009.
(14) D.P. Bentz, Thermal Conductivity 30/Thermal Expansion 18, DesTech Publications, Lancaster, PA, 108-119, 2010.
(15) S.-H. Park, S.L. Manzello, D.P. Bentz, and T. Mizukami, Fire and Materials, 34, 237-250, 2010, DOI:10.1002/fam.1017.