You searched on:
Author: james filliben
Sorted by: title
Displaying records 21 to 30 of 81 records.
Resort by: Date / Title
21. Characterization of the Range Performance of a 3D Imaging System (NIST TN 1695)
Technical Note (NIST TN)
Geraldine S Cheok, Kamel Shawki Saidi, Marek Franaszek, James J Filliben, Nicholas Scott
A 3D imaging instrument is a non-contact measurement instrument used to rapidly obtain 3D information about a scene or object. The use of and the applications for these instruments have grown tremendously in the last decade. The expanded use of 3D ...
22. Collaborative Thermal Conductivity Measurements of Fibrous Glass and Expanded Polystyrene Reference Materials
Robert R Zarr, James J Filliben
Thermal conductivity measurements of four thermal insulation reference materials are presented. The measurements were obtained from an international collaborative test program of guarded-hot-plate laboratories from Canada, France, Japan, United King ...
23. Combining Genetic Algorithms & Simulation to Search for Failure Scenarios in System Models
Kevin L Mills, Christopher E Dabrowski, James J Filliben, Sanford P Ressler
Large infrastructures, such as clouds, can exhibit substantial outages, sometimes due to failure scenarios that were not considered during system design. We define a method that uses a genetic algorithm (GA) to search system simulations for parameter ...
24. Comparing VM-Placement Algorithms for On-Demand Clouds
Kevin L Mills, James J Filliben, Christopher E Dabrowski
Much recent research has been devoted to investigating algorithms for allocating virtual machines (VMs) to physical machines (PMs) in infrastructure clouds. Many such algorithms address distinct problems, such as initial placement, consolidation, or ...
25. Comparison of Wind Loading Estimates Based on Extreme Speeds and Squares of Extreme Speeds
Emil Simiu, A N Heckert, James J Filliben
The hypothesis that better estimates of wind force extremes are obtained by analyzing time series of squares of wind speeds, rather than time series of wind speeds, has been considered in the engineering literature. We present results of Monte Carlo ...
26. Comparison of segmentation algorithms for fluorescence microscopy images of cells
Alden A Dima, John T Elliott, James J Filliben, Michael W Halter, Adele P Peskin, Javier Bernal, Marcin Kociolek, Mary C Brady, Hai C. Tang, Anne L Plant
Segmentation results from nine different segmentation techniques applied to two different cell lines and five different sets of imaging conditions were compared. Significant variability in the results of segmentation was observed that was due solely ...
27. Concrete Optimization Software Tool User's Guide
M J Simon, Dale P Bentz, James J Filliben
This user's guide provides instructions for and examples of using the Concrete Optimization Software Tool (COST), a joint product of the Federal Highway Administration and the National Institute of Standards and Technology. COST provides an internet ...
28. Design of Experiments Approach to Verification and Uncertainty Estimation of Simulations based on Finite Element Method
Jeffrey T Fong, James J Filliben, Nathanael A Heckert, Roland deWit
A fundamental mathematical modeling and computational tool in engineering and applied sciences is the finite element method (FEM). The formulation of every such problem begins with the building of a mathematical model with carefully chosen simp ...
29. Design of a Python-based Plug-in for Benchmarking Probabilistic Fracture Mechanics Computer Codes with Failure Event Data
Jeffrey T Fong, Roland deWit, Pedro Vincente Marcal, James J Filliben, Nathanael A Heckert, Stephen R Gosselin
In a 2007 paper entitled "Application of Failure Event Data to Benchmark Probabilistic Fracture Mechanics (PFM) Computer Codes" (Simonen, F. A., Gosselin, S. R., Lydell, B. O. Y., Rudland, D. L., & Wikowski, G. M. Proc. ASME PVP Conf., San ...
30. Development of the NIST Rocky Flats Soil Standard
Svetlana Nour, James J Filliben, Kenneth G Inn
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Rocky Flats Soil-II Standard Reference Material (SRM) is being certified through a statistical analysis of results from an interlaboratory comparison of 14 laboratories from 4 countries. The ...