You searched on:
Author: johannes soons
Sorted by: title
Displaying records 1 to 10 of 39 records.
Resort by: Date / Title
1. A Novel Cooling System to Reduce Thermally-Induced Errors of Machine Tools
M Alkan Donmez, Mahn-Hee Hahn, Johannes A Soons
This study explores a method to reduce thermally-induced errors of machine tools through temperature stabilization with compressed air. The method uses inexpensive, specialy-shaped, silicon tubing wth small silts. Compressed air forced through such ...
2. A Simple Ball Averager for Reference Sphere Calibrations
Ulf Griesmann, Quandou Wang, Johannes A Soons, Remi Carakos
When measuring the form errors of precision optics with an interferometer, the calibration of the reference wavefront is of central importance. Ball averaging, or random ball testing, has in recent years emerged as a robust method for calibrati ...
3. Absolute interferometric tests of spherical surfaces based on rotational and translational shears
Johannes A Soons, Ulf Griesmann
Traceability of interferometric form measurements requires characterization of the reference wavefront. We investigate absolute tests for spherical surfaces where the form errors of both reference and test surface are estimated by minimizing the diff ...
4. Accessing the Performance of Model-Based Control in a Distributed Machine Tool Control Environment
John L Michaloski, Johannes A Soons, Frederick M Proctor
Although Computerized Numerical Controller (CNC) machine tools have greatlyimproved precision, quality and productivity, there are still many areaswhere inaccuracies and inef- ficiencies remain. Model-Based Control (MBC) isa technique to advance mach ...
5. Analysis of the Step-Diagonal Test
Johannes A Soons
The step-diagonal test modifies the diagonal displacement test for machine tool performance evaluation by executing a diagonal as a sequence of single-axis motions. The proposed modification has gained interest because of the claim that the obt ...
6. Characterization of Precision Spheres With XCALIBIR
Ulf Griesmann, Johannes A Soons, Quandou Wang
The geometry of a nearly spherical surface, for example that of a precision optic, is completely determined by the radius-of-curvature at one point and the deviation from the perfect spherical form at all other points of the sphere. Measurements of ...
7. Comparison of Measurement Procedures for Evaluating Thermal Errors of Machine Tools due to Moving Linear Axes
Michael L McGlauflin, Johannes A Soons, M Alkan Donmez
This paper investigates an alternative method to assess thermal errors due to the heat generated by moving linear axes using a spindle-mounted probe and simple artifacts. The angular errors introduced by the warm-up of individual axes (X, Y and ...
8. Computer-Generated Hologram Cavity Interferometry Test for Large X-Ray Mandrels: Design
Guangjun Gao, John P. Lehan, William W. Zhang, Ulf Griesmann, Johannes A Soons
A glancing incidence interferometric test for large x-ray mirror mandrels, using two computer generated holograms (CGH s), is described. The two CGH s are used to form a double pass glancing incidence system. One layout of the CGH-cavity glancing in ...
9. Deformation-Free Form Error Measurements of Thin, Plane-Parallel Optics Floated on a Heavy
JiYoung Chu, Ulf Griesmann, Quandou Wang, Johannes A Soons, Eric C Benck
We describe a novel method for measuring the unconstrained flatness error of
thin, plane parallel precision optics by floating them on high-density aqueous
metatungstate solutions while measuring the flatness error with an interferometer. The
10. Development of a metrology frame to improve the positioning accuracy of micro/meso-scale machine tools
Shawn P Moylan, Daehie Hong, Bradley N Damazo, Johannes A Soons, M Alkan Donmez
The small size of the work volume of micro/meso-scale machine tools often presents problems for calibration and error compensation, but at the same time provides opportunity for solutions not practical on the traditional scale. Measuring tool positi ...