DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
National Institute of Standards and Technology
National Construction Safety Team Advisory Committee
AGENCY: National Institute of Standards and Technology, Department of Commerce.
ACTION: Request for nominations of members to serve on the National Construction Safety Team Advisory Committee.
SUMMARY: NIST invites and requests nomination of individuals for appointment to the National Construction Safety Team Advisory Committee (Committee). This a new Federal Advisory Committee established pursuant to the National Construction Safety Team Act. NIST will consider nominations received in response to this notice for appointment to the Committee, in addition to nominations already received.
DATES: Please submit nominations on or before November 27, 2002.
ADDRESSES: Please submit nominations to Stephen Cauffman, National Construction Safety Team Advisory Committee, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 8610, Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8610. Nominations may also be submitted via fax to (301) 975-6122.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Stephen Cauffman, National Construction Safety Team Advisory Committee, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 8610, Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8610, telephone 301-975-6051, fax 301-975-6122; or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Committee was established in accordance with the National Construction Safety Team Act, Public Law 107-231 and the Federal Advisory Committee Act (5 U.S.C. app. 2).
Objectives and Duties
- The Committee shall advise the Director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on carrying out the National Construction Safety Team Act (Act), review and provide advice on the procedures developed under section 2(c)(1) of the Act, and review and provide advice on the reports issued under section 8 of the Act.
- The Committee functions solely as an advisory body, in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Advisory Committee Act.
- The Committee shall report to the Director of NIST.
- The Committee shall provide a written annual report, through the Director of the NIST Building and Fire Research Laboratory (BFRL) and the Director of NIST, to the Secretary of Commerce for submission to the Congress, to be due at a date to be agreed upon by the Committee and the Director of NIST. Such report will provide an evaluation of National Construction Safety Team activities, along with recommendations to improve the operation and effectiveness of National Construction Safety Teams, and an assessment of the implementation of the recommendations of the National Construction Safety Teams and of the Committee. In addition, the Committee may provide reports at strategic stages of an investigation, at its discretion or at the request of the Director of NIST, through the Director of the BFRL and the Director of NIST, to the Secretary of Commerce.
- The Committee will be composed of not fewer than five nor more than ten members that reflect a wide balance of the diversity of technical disciplines and competencies involved in the National Construction Safety Teams investigations. Members shall be selected on the basis of established records of distinguished service in their professional community and their knowledge of issues affecting the National Construction Safety Teams.
- The Director of the NIST shall appoint the members of the Committee, and they will be selected on a clear, standardized basis, in accordance with applicable Department of Commerce guidance.
- Members of the Committee will not be paid for their services, but will, upon request, be allowed travel and per diem expenses in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 5701 et seq., while attending meetings of the Committee or of its subcommittees, or while otherwise performing duties at the request of the chairperson, while away from their homes or a regular place of business.
- The Committee will meet at least once per year at the call of the Chair. Additional meetings may be called whenever one-third or more of the members so request it in writing or whenever the Chair or the Director of NIST requests a meeting.
- Committee meetings will be open to the public except when a closed session is held in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552b(c)(6), because divulging information discussed in those portions of the meetings is likely to reveal information of a personal nature where disclosure would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy. All other portions of the meetings are open to the public.
- Nominations are sought from all fields involved in issues affecting National Construction Safety Teams.
- Nominees should have established records of distinguished service. The field of expertise that the candidate represents he/she is qualified should be specified in the nomination letter. Nominations for a particular field should come from organizations or individuals within that field. A summary of the candidate's qualifications should be included with the nomination, including (where applicable) current or former service on federal advisory boards and federal employment. In addition, each nomination letter should state that the person agrees to the nomination, acknowledges the responsibilities of serving on the Committee, and will actively participate in good faith in the tasks of the Committee.
The Department of Commerce is committed to equal opportunity in the workplace and seeks a broad-based and diverse Committee membership.
Dated: November 5, 2002.
Arden L. Bement, Jr.,
[FR Doc. 02-28579 Filed 11-8-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-13-P