9th Annual DOE Laser Safety Officer Workshop
Abstract submission is open starting April 23, 2013. The workshop program will be developed from a selection of submitted abstracts; there will also be some invited talks. A draft of the program will be available in June 2013.
Topic areas for abstract submission include:
- Laser safety in R&D facilities at national labs and universities: recent applications, associated laser safety issues and solutions. This is the prime focus for the workshop! Suggested topics inlcude: ultrashort pulses, OPAs, spectral broadening, alignment eyewear, high harmonic generation, THz, skin hazard and associated PPE requirements for uv lasers, electrical safety(e.g., flashlamps), very high pulse energy (>10s of Joules) or high power (>100s of W), radiological and other non-beam hazards from laser-target interactions, etc.
- Laser accidents, near misses, lessons learned and best practices
- Laser eyewear challenges and issues: reflective vs. absorptive filters, balancing visual light transmission vs. multiple types of eyewear, saturable absorption and damage thresholds.
- Engineering control systems, making Class 1 products, interlock systems. Examples from industry, from simple to state-of-the-art.
- Advances in laser technology and science enabled by lasers
- Overview talks on safety standards, laser safety training and program management, safety configuration management, performance metrics, laser safety in a manufacturing environment, laser safety in medical settings, laser safety for Class 2 and 3R lasers, and laser safety for fiber lasers used in communications.
To submit an abstract for consideration by the Program Committee, please email the following information to the Co-Chairs:
- First & Last Names
- Abstract Title