You searched on: Author: robert cook
Displaying records 11 to 20 of 59 records.
Resort by: Date / Title
11. Etching process effects on surface structure, fracture strength, and reliability of single-crystal silicon theta-like specimens
Michael S. Gaither, Richard Swift Gates, Rebecca R. Kirkpatrick, Robert Francis Cook, Frank W DelRio
The etching processes used to produce microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) leave residual surface features that typically limit device strength and, consequently, device lifetime and reliability. In order to optimize MEMS device reliability, it is ...
12. Surface-Engineered Nanomaterials as X-ray Absorbing Adjuvant Agents for Auger-Mediated Chemo-Radiation
Robert Francis Cook, Sang-Min Lee, De-Hao D. Tsai, Vincent A Hackley, Martin W. Brechbiel
We demonstrate a prototype approach to formulate gold nanoparticle (AuNP)‹based X‹ray absorbing adjuvant agents through surface‹engineering of cisplatin pharmacophore (PtII) with lipoic acid‹modified polyacrylate (denoted as PtII‹AuNPs). Design of Pt ...
13. Accuracy and Resolution of Nanoscale Strain Measurement Techniques
William A Osborn, Lawrence H Friedman, Mark D Vaudin, Stephan J Stranick, Michael S. Gaither, Justin M Gorham, Victor Vartanian, Robert Francis Cook
14. Interfacial Mechanical Properties of n-Alkylsilane Monolayers on Silicon Substrates
Brian G Bush, Frank W DelRio, Cherno Jaye, Daniel A Fischer, Robert Francis Cook
The interfacial properties of n-alkylsilane self-assembled monolayers on silicon were investigated by normal force spectroscopy and lateral force measurements and correlated with molecular structure via near-edge X-ray absorption fine structure (NEXA ...
15. Indentation device for in situ Raman spectroscopic and optical studies
Yvonne Beatrice Gerbig, Chris A Michaels, Aaron M Forster, John W Hettenhouser, Walter Eric Byrd, Dylan J. Morris, Robert Francis Cook
Instrumented indentation is a widely used technique to study the mechanical behavior of materials at small length scales and thus has been exploited in particular for metals, ceramics, glasses, and polymers. Mechanical tests of bulk materials, micros ...
16. High Confidence Level Calibration for AFM Based Fracture Testing of
Scott Grutzik, Richard Swift Gates, Yvonne Beatrice Gerbig, Robert Francis Cook, Melissa Hines, Alan Zehnder
When designing micro- or nanoelectromechanical systems, (MEMS and NEMS), it is important to consider whether structural elements will withstand loads experienced during operation. Fracture behavior at length scales present in MEMS and NEMS is much di ...
17. Nanoscale mapping of contact stiffness and damping by contact-resonance atomic
Gheorghe Stan, Robert Francis Cook
In this work, a new procedure is demonstrated to retrieve the conservative and dissipative contributions to contact-resonance atomic force microscopy (CR-AFM) measurements from the contact
resonance frequency and resonance amplitude. By simultaneous ...
18. Ultimate bending strength of Si nanowires
Gheorghe Stan, Sergiy Krylyuk, Albert Davydov, Igor Levin, Robert Francis Cook
Test platforms for the ideal strength of materials are provided by almost defect-free nanostructures
(nanowires, nanotubes, nanoparticles, for example). In this work, the ultimate bending strengths
of Si nanowires with radii in the 20 nm to 60 nm r ...
19. In situ observation of the indentation-induced phase transformation of silicon thin films
Yvonne Beatrice Gerbig, Chris A Michaels, Aaron M Forster, Robert Francis Cook
Indentation-induced phase transformation processes were studied by in situ Raman microspectroscopy of the deformed contact region of silicon on sapphire samples during contact loading and unloading. During loading, the formation of Si-II and another ...
20. Nanomechanical properties of polyethylene glycol brushes on gold substrates
Gheorghe Stan, Frank W DelRio, Robert I. MacCuspie, Robert Francis Cook
Brushes of polyethylene glycol (PEG) were directly anchored onto bare gold substrates in solution.
The nucleation kinetics of PEG binding were investigated successively in solution and dry air
using atomic force microscopy (AFM) imaging. In additio ...