The SURF application process has changed for the 2019 competition. Eligible students must apply for acceptance into the SURF Program on USAJOBS (tentatively schedule to open on December 15, 2018) no later than February 3, 2019 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time. To learn more about the program and application process, students are invited to register and attend an upcoming webinar on December 19, 2018 or January 10, 2019.
***Note: SURF Boulder has a 400 applicant limit. The application may close ahead of February 3, 2019.
To apply to the SURF Program, a USAJOBS profile is required. If you do not have a profile, please create it here .
A completed application contains the following:
- Questionnaire which includes the personal statement. The personal statement (maximum of 6000 characters) should include
- Description of scientific interest
- Project preference and why you selected that project
- Expected impact if accepted
- Description of future plans after graduation from undergraduate studies
- A brief (two pages or less) resume which includes name, e-mail, school name, G.P.A., research experience, technical skills, extracurricular activities, and graduation date (example resume )
- Transcript(s) from undergraduate institution only (unofficial is acceptable).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation - Please request the letters from individuals who are knowledgeable about your academic achievements and research experience. Feel free to ask your professors (current and past), research mentors, or internship supervisors.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful U.S. residency: Proof includes a copy of an unexpired U.S. Passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or unexpired green card.
- Verification of health insurance (copy of insurance card)
The SURF Program at the Boulder campus is anticipated to run between May 20 – August 2, 2019 ; adjustments may be made to accommodate specific academic schedules . Students are expected to participate in the program until August 2, 2019.