SURF is now accepting applications for the summer of 2019! To apply, please submit your application at www.usajobs.gov. Search “Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)Program at Gaithersburg” to find the announcement. (The USAJobs vacancy announcement number for SURF Gaithersburg is SURF-2019-0004, to verify you have the correct announcement.) SURF Boulder and SURF Gaithersburg receive and process applications separately. The application deadline has been extended to March 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM (ET).
Note: Letters of recommendation must be uploaded in the USAJobs portal. Thus, there will not be a link provided to submit confidential references. Under special circumstances, references can request (send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org) instructions to submit confidential (password protected ) letters. This e-mail will need to be received no later than 5:00 PM (ET) on March 6, 2019.
Have other questions? Check out the FAQ's.
The application process for the SURF Program has changed this year. Students must apply on USAJobs.Gov to be considered for acceptance into the program. To apply to the program, a USAJOBS profile is required. If you do not have a profile, please create it here . To learn more information about NIST, the SURF Program, and the revamped application process, you are encouraged to view a recently recorded webinar.
Note: The university component has been removed from the application requirements. Thus, universities should not submit proposals nominating students to participate in the SURF Program.
A completed application contains the following:
- Questionnaire which includes the personal statement. The personal statement (maximum of 6000 characters which includes spaces) should include
- Description of scientific interest
- NIST laboratory preference and why you selected that laboratory
- Expected impact if accepted
- Description of future plans after graduating from undergraduate studies
- A brief (two pages or less) resume which includes name, e-mail, school name, G.P.A., research experience, technical skills, extracurricular activities, and graduation date (example resume )
- Transcript(s) from undergraduate institution only (unofficial is acceptable).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation - Please request the letters from individuals who are knowledgeable about your academic achievements and research experience. Feel free to ask your professors (current and past), research mentors, or internship supervisors.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful U.S. residency: Proof includes a copy of an unexpired U.S. Passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or unexpired green card.
- Verification of health insurance (copy of insurance card)
The SURF Program at the Gaithersburg campus is anticipated to run between May 28 – August 9, 2019 or June 10 – August 9, 2019; adjustments may be made to accommodate specific academic schedules (e.g., a limited number of 9-week slots). Students are expected to participate in the program until August 9, 2019.
You will find a list of frequently asked questions here:
To see the breadth of the SURF program, see examples from the past SURF student projects descriptions and activities: