State-of-the-art microelectronic devices are patterned from nanometer-scale thickness films. Process development and manufacturing of these devices relies heavily on accurate thickness determination. XRR measurement tools provide the semiconductor industry with internally reproducible film thickness determination; however, different instrumentation and analysis software often produce divergent modeling results. NIST will address this problem by providing the community with SRM thickness standards that can be used to calibrate XRR laboratory and Fab-line instrumentation.
Impact and Customers:
- XRR SRMs will provide the $43B U.S. semiconductor industry with SI traceability for thin film thickness for ISO compliance and internal fabrication line standardization
- XRR SRMs will provide absolute thickness calibration for material structural modeling in nanotechnology and related fundamental research fields
- NIST provides technology transfers of metrological XRR characterization approaches to SEMATECH
- NIST has collaborations with key XRR instrument vendors (BEDE, Bruker AXS, Jordan Valley, PANalytical, and TECHNOS)to enhance calibration methods for XRR instruments in the field
- NIST has informal collaborations with semiconductor manufacturers for SRM materials development and acquisition