Facial morphing and the ability to detect it is an area of high interest to a number of photo-credential issuance agencies and those employing face recognition for identity verification. The FRVT MORPH test will provide ongoing independent testing of prototype facial morph detection technologies. The evaluation is designed to obtain an assessment on morph detection capability to inform developers and current and prospective end-users, and will evaluate two separate tasks:
- Algorithmic capability to detect facial morphing (morphed/blended faces) in still photographs
- Face recognition algorithm resistance against morphing
Call for Data
We are seeking representative morph data to support our testing efforts. If your organization has morphs that 1) have never been shared with developers and 2) can be shared with NIST, please contact email@example.com.
- API Document [last update: 2018-01-16]: An initial version of the FRVT MORPH API document and the corresponding C++ API header file is now available. Questions and comments are welcome. Developers must ensure that their submission conforms to the document's specifications.
- Validation [last update: 2018-01-12]: The validation package will be made available soon. All participants must run their software through the provided validation package prior to submission. The purpose of validation is to ensure consistent algorithm output between your execution and NIST's execution.
- Participation Agreement [last update: 2018-01-12]: FRVT MORPH is conducted by NIST, an agency of the United States Government. Participation is free of charge. FRVT MORPH is open to a global audience of computer vision and face recognition developers. All organizations who seek to participate in FRVT MORPH must sign and submit all pages of this Participation Agreement . Note that this is a separate agreement from the FRVT Ongoing 1:1 agreement.
- Encryption Instructions [last update: 2018-01-12]: All submissions must be properly encrypted and signed before transmission to NIST. This must be done according to these instructions using the FRVT Ongoing public key linked from this page. Participants must email their public key to NIST. The participant's public key must correspond to the participant's public-key fingerprint provided on the signed Participation Application.
- Submission Instructions [last update: 2018-01-10]: Encrypted files below 20MB can be emailed to NIST at firstname.lastname@example.org. Encrypted files above 20MB can be provided as a download link from a generic http webserver (e.g., Google Drive). We cannot accept Dropbox links. NIST will not register, or establish any kind of membership, on the provided website. Participants can submit their algorithm(s) as soon as the signed participation agreement is sent to NIST. There is no need to wait for NIST confirmation of the received agreement.
Important Dates [last update: 2018-01-12]: NIST will begin accepting submissions on 2018-01-22. FRVT MORPH runs in perpetuity with no planned end date.
Please contact NIST if
- You are a developer of morph detection algorithms and/or a developer of face recognition algorithms that are resistant to facial morphing.
- You represent an organization possessing suitable morph data that may be valuable to our effort.
- You have suggestions toward developing the technology or any more general interest in shaping how NIST proceeds with the FRVT MORPH program.