Atomic Physics Division
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, Guest Researcher, 2005-present
- Vanderbilt University, Professor Emerita of Computer Science, 1996-present
- Vanderbilt University, Professor of Computer Science, 1980-1996
- The Pennsylvania State University, Professor of Computer Science, 1974-1979
- Waterloo University, Professor of Computer Science, 1968-1957
- University of British Columbia, Instructor – Professor of Mathematics, 1957-1968
- Cambridge University, PhD, Mathematics Laboratory, 1957 (Supervisor: D.R. Hartree)
- University of British Columbia, BA, Honours Mathematics and Chemistry, 1952
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 1991
My research interest is the calculation of atomic properties using variational methods, either non-relativistic with Breit-Pauli corrections or fully relativistic methods based on Dirac theory. Codes for large-scale, parallel calculations have been developed and applied to a large number of atomic systems. Of particular interest are all possible types of transition probabilities between levels of a spectrum. The results have been collected in a database for energy levels, lifetimes, and transition probabilities, http://atoms.vuse.vanderbilt.edu.
Recent and Significant Publications
C. Froese Fischer and R. H. Rubin, "Breit-Pauli energy levels, transition probabilities and lifetimes for 3d5 levels in Fe IV of astrophysical interest," Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 355, 461 (2004).
C. Froese Fischer, P. Jönnson, and G. Tachiev, "The Landé g-factor in atomic spectroscopy," Mol. Phys. 102, 1177 (2004).
A. Ellman et al., "Radiative lifetime of a bound excited state of Te-," Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 253002 (2004).
C. Froese Fischer and G. Tachiev, "Breit-Pauli energy levels, lifetimes, and transition probabilities for the beryllium-like to neon-like sequences," At. Data Nucl. Data Tables, 87, 1 (2004).
J. Bieron, C. Froese Fischer, and M. Godefroid, "Hyperfine structure calculations of excited levels of scandium," J. Phys. B: Atom. Mol. Phys. 35, 3337 (2002).
O. Zatsarinny and C. Froese Fischer, "Oscillator strengths for transitions of high-lying excited states of carbon," J. Phys. B: Atom. Mol. Phys. 35, 4669 (2002).
Y. Zou and C. Froese Fischer, "Resonance transition energies and oscillator strengths in Lutetium and Lawrencium," Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 183001 (2002).
C. Froese Fischer and S. Fritzche, "Magnetic dipole transitions beteen the lowest 3d4 J=2-3 transitions in highly charged titanium ions," J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Phys. 34, L767-L722 (2001).