Jeffrey W. Gilman
Dr. JEFFREY W. GILMAN received his B.A. in chemistry from Ithaca College, and his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of California, Irvine from Kenneth Shea. After a postdoc with Raj K. Razdan at SISA, he worked at the Air Force Research Laboratory on polyurethanes and POSS. He joined NIST in 1994 as a research polymer chemist. He is currently the leader of the Composites Project at NIST. His recent work focuses on interface imaging using fluorescence methods and cellulose nanofiber composites. He has over 60 peer-reviewed publications, several patents and has authored several book chapters. Dr. Gilman has successfully formed four NIST-Industry research consortia, and has had a number of externally funded research programs during the 20 years at NIST. In 1999 he was awarded the Department of Commerce Bronze Medal, and in 2009 the Jacob Rabinow Award.
Recent Interview in Composites Manufacturing Magazine
Selected Journal Publications
- I A Sacui, R C Nieuwendaal, D J Burnett, SJ Stranick, M Jorfi, C Weder, E J Foster, R T Olsson, and J W Gilman, Comparison of the Properties of Cellulose Nanocrystals and Cellulose Nanofibrils Isolated from Bacteria, Tunicate, and Wood Processed Using Acid, Enzymatic, Mechanical, and Oxidative Methods, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2014, 6 (9), pp 6127–6138.
- C Zhu, J Chen, KK Koziol, JW Gilman, PC Trulove, SS Rahatekar, Effect of fibre spinning conditions on the electrical properties of cellulose and carbon nanotube composite fibres spun using ionic liquid as a benign solvent, Express Polymer Letters, 2014, 8 (3) 154-163.
- DM Fox, M Novy, K Brown, M Zammarano, RH Harris Jr, M Murariu, Flame Retarded Poly (lactic acid) Using POSS-Modified Cellulose. 2. Effects of Intumescing Flame Retardant Formulations on Polymer Degradation and Composite Physical Properties, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 2014, 106, 54-62.
- JS Haghpanah, R Tu, S Da Silva, D Yan, S Mueller, C Weder, EJ Foster, Bionanocomposites: Differential Effects of Cellulose Nanocrystals on Protein Diblock Copolymers, Biomacromolecules 2013, 14 (12), 4360-4367.
- ED McCarthy, M Zammarano, DM Fox, RC Nieuwendaal, YS Kim, Formation of extended ionomeric network by bulk polymerization of l,d-lactide with layered-double-hydroxide, Polymer, 2013, 54 (1), 90-101.
- N Singh, KK Koziol, J Chen, AJ Patil, JW Gilman, PC Trulove, SS Rahatekar, Ionic liquids-based processing of electrically conducting chitin nanocomposite scaffolds for stem cell growth, Green Chemistry, 2013, 15 (5), 1192-1202.