The following documents are under consideration for placement on the OSAC Registry, along with their status in the OSAC Registry approval processes.
OSAC Registry Approval Process for SDO Published Standards
Open for Comment: During the open comment period, OSAC provides forensic science stakeholders an opportunity to offer their feedback on whether an SDO published standard should be placed on the Registry. For a list of standards currently open for comment, please see the Standards Open for Comment webpage.
In Comment Adjudication: If any negative comments are received during the open comment period, OSAC committees will address them during the comment adjudication phase. The following SDO published standards are currently in this phase:
- ANSI/ASB Standard 045, Standard for Stature Estimation in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition, 2019.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 090, Standard for Sex Estimation in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition, 2019.
Bloodstain Pattern Analysis
- ANSI/ASB Standard 030, Standard for a Quality Assurance Program in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, First Edition, 2019.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 031, Standards for Report Writing in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, First Edition, 2019.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 032, Standards for a Bloodstain Pattern Analyst’s Training Program, First Edition, 2020.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 072, Standard for the Validation of Procedures in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, First Edition, 2019.
Fire & Explosion investigation
- NFPA 921:21 Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigation.
- NFPA 1033:2022 Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigators.
Footwear & Tire
- ANSI/ASB Technical Report 051, Scope of Work for a Footwear/Tire Examiner, First Edition, 2020.
At the Forensic Science Standards Board (FSSB) for Vote to Add to Registry: After all comments have been addressed, a standard will go to the FSSB. The FSSB will review the feedback received during the open comment period and vote on whether to approve it for placement on the Registry. The following standards are currently at the FSSB for vote:
- ADA Technical Report 1077-20 Human Age Assessment by Dental Analysis.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 093, Standard Test Method for the Forensic Examination and Testing of Firearms, First Edition, 2020.
- ASTM 3255-21 Standard Practice for Quality Assurance of Forensic Science Service Providers Performing Chemical Analysis.
Registry Approval Process for OSAC Proposed Standards
Open for Comment: OSAC provides forensic science stakeholders an opportunity to suggest revisions to a draft standard and offer their feedback on whether it should be included on the Registry as an "OSAC Proposed Standard". For a list of OSAC Proposed Standards currently open for comment, please see the Standards Open for Comment webpage.
In Comment Adjudication: OSAC subcommittees will review and address any comments that were received during the open comment period. The following OSAC Proposed Standards are currently in the comment adjudication phase:
- OSAC 2020-N-0006, Standard for Qualifications in the Practice of Forensic Anthropology.
- OSAC 2021-N-0010, Best Practice Recommendation for Skeletal Preparation and Sampling in Forensic Anthropology.
- OSAC 2021-S-0021, Forensic Autosomal STR DNA Statistical Analyses-General Protocol, Protocol Verification, and Case Record Requirements.
- OSAC 2021-S-0028, Standard for Use of Serological Testing Methods Associated with Forensic Investigations.
- OSAC 2021-S-0029, Standard for Familial DNA Searching.
crime scene investigation & reconstruction
- OSAC 2021-N-0018, Standard for On-Scene Collection and Preservation of Physical Evidence.
- OSAC 2021-N-0019, Standard Practice for the Documentation and Processing of Shooting Scenes.
- OSAC 2021-N-0025, Standard Guide for Printing Method Effects on Facial Comparisons.
firearms & Toolmarks
- OSAC 2021-N-0012, Requirements and Recommendations for a Firearm and Toolmark Examiner Training Program.
- OSAC 2021-N-0020, Best Practice Recommendations for Limited Examinations (for Friction Ridge).
- OSAC 2021-N-0009, Standard Practice for the Collection and Preservation of Organic Gunshot Residue.
- OSAC 2021-N-0026, Standard for Education and Training of Forensic Toxicology Personnel.
- OSAC 2020-S-0003, Guideline for Performing Alcohol Calculations in Forensic Toxicology.
video/imaging technology & analysis
- OSAC 2021-S-0027, Standard Guide for Laboratory Photography.
- OSAC 2021-S-0036, Standard Guide for Image Authentication.
wildlife forensic biology
- OSAC 2021-S-0014, Standard for Reference Collections in Wildlife Forensic Biology: Genetics and Vertebrate Morphology.
At the FSSB for Review: After the subcommittee reviews and adjudicates the comments received during the open comment period, the FSSB has an opportunity to review and appeal adding an OSAC Proposed Standard to the Registry. The following standards are being reviewed by the FSSB: