Secretary Penny Pritzker announced the newest institute in the Manufacturing USA network, and the first to be awarded by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) from an ”open topic” competition. For more details go to https://www.manufacturingusa.com/institutes
On February 19, 2016, NIST released a Federal Funding Opportunity (FFO) to establish and operate one or more Manufacturing USA Institutes. This competition is a two-stage process, comprised of a pre-application followed by a full application for those invited to continue.
As an open-topic competition, NIST accepted applications for Institutes in any area of advanced manufacturing so long as it is not duplicative of other institutes in the program, meaning the application does not duplicate the technical scope and programs of federally funded Institutes within Manufacturing USA, or technical focus area(s) that are identified within any in-progress Institute funding opportunity announced by a federal agency.
This page provides additional information and reminders for applicants.
- Refer to the Official Information on Grants.gov Before Applying: The NIST NNMI Program will only accept applications as described within the Federal Funding Opportunity (FFO) that is published on Grants.gov (http://www.grants.gov).
- Bookmark this Page: Announcements will be posted on this webpage as the competition unfolds and awards are announced.
- Competition Timeline
- FFO Announced on Grants.gov (2016-NIST-NNMI-01) on February 19, 2016
- Pre-Applications due through Grants.gov on April 20, 2016, 11:59 p.m. ET
- Pre-Application review and selection notification on or about May 23, 2016
- Full Applications due through Grants.gov on or about July 22, 2016, 11:59 p.m. ET
- Anticipated start date for awards in Q1 of calendar year 2017
Public Information Events
- March 8, 2016: Proposers' Day (in person) and accompanying webcast.
- Informational Webinar(s):
- The FFO at Grants.gov - contains links to download the full application package, including all required forms
- FFO only (PDF)
- Press Release
- Notice of Intent and accompanying press release
Frequently Asked Questions
- Questions Not Answered In The FAQ: Refer to the FFO for a list of agency contacts or e-mail NNMIfund@nist.gov.
Suggested Templates and Guidance*
*The FFO contains all the information necessary to apply. Applicants are not required to use the material on this page in order to submit a complete and valid application.
- Annual Institute Plan
- Budget Narrative Template | Budget Table
- Cost Share Components and Contributors
- Work Breakdown Structure | Estimated Funding of WBS | Rough Order of Magnitude
- Table of Funded Participants and Unfunded Collaborators
- Budget Narrative Guidance
- Guidance on Merits and Uncertainties of Cost Share
- Notional Multiyear Budget Example
Cooperative Agreements & Award Requirements
- Automated Standard Application for Payments (ASAP) - secure, web-based all electronic payment and information application for federal agencies and their recipients.
- Department of Commerce Financial Assistance Standard Terms and Conditions, dated December 26, 2014.
- Department of Commerce Grants and Cooperative Agreements Manual, dated October 24, 2016.
- OMB Uniform Guidance 2 CFR Part 200 - Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards.
- Submit a Pre-Application
- Get a D-U-N-S® Number
- Employer Identification Number, Understanding Your EIN (PUBS 1635)
- Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online
- Human Subjects Regulations
- Live Vertebrate Animals, "Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals," National Research Council, National Academy Press.
- System for Award Management (SAM) - Registration
- Revitalize American Manufacturing and Innovation Act (RAMI), 15 U.S.C. § 278s – Network for Manufacturing Innovation, 2014.
- Federal Agencies, Departments, and Commissions: a full listing maintained by USA.gov.
- Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs): a master list of all FFRDCs maintained by the National Science Foundation.
- Guidance on Intellectual Property, National Network for Manufacturing Innovation, Advanced Manufacturing National Program Office, March 2015.
- NIST Manufacturing Portal
- NIST Policy 5700.00, Managing Public Access to Results of Federally Funded Research, June 2015 .
- NIST Order 5701.00, Managing Public Access to Results of Federally Funded Research, June 2015 .
- National Science and Technology Council, National Network for Manufacturing Innovation Program Strategic Plan, Executive Office of the President, February 2016
- National Science and Technology Council, 2015 National Network for Manufacturing Innovation Program Annual Report, Executive Office of the President, February 2016
- President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (U.S.), Report to the President: Accelerating U.S. Advanced Manufacturing, Executive Office of the President of the United States, 2014.
- Holdren, J., Increasing Access to the Results of Federally Funded Scientific Research, Office of Science and Technology Policy, 2013.
- National Science and Technology Council (U.S.), National Network for Manufacturing Innovation: A Preliminary Design, Executive Office of the President of the United States, 2013.
- Obama, Barack H. State of the Union Address, 2013 and State of the Union Address, 2014, Capitol Building. Washington, DC.
- National Science and Technology Council, A National Strategic Plan for Advanced Manufacturing, Executive Office of the President, 2012.
- President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, Report To The President On Capturing Domestic Competitive Advantage In Advanced Manufacturing, Executive Office of the President, 2012.