Fundamental and Applied Research and Standards for AI Technologies
The NIST FARSAIT program has two major goals: 1) development of an ML/AI Expert Team to enable NIST scientists to draw routinely on ML/AI tools to gain deeper insight into their research; and 2) fundamental research to measure and enhance the security and trustworthiness of AI systems. Together, these address needs for near-term AI capabilities at NIST and catalyze the longer-term transformational impacts of AI on society and the world.
The NIST AI Visiting Fellow program aims for nationally recognized leaders in ML/AI to share their knowledge and experience to advance NIST goals in collaborative AI. The AI visiting fellows will provide technical support in ML/AI methods, and contribute through participation in workshops, meetings, and assist with development activities for NIST AI research projects.
To ensure technical standards reflect Federal priorities for innovation, public trust, and confidence in systems that use AI technologies, NIST is participating in the development of international standards to promote U.S. competitiveness.
AI @ NIST
- Selected AI research project at NIST can be found here.
- ITL Director, Chuck Romine, gave a briefing on NIST AI Research Program to the Visiting Committee on Advanced Technology on June 5, 2018.
- NIST Acting Associate Director for Laboratory Programs, James Olthoff gave a NIST and Artificial Intelligence presentation to the Visiting Committee on Advanced Technology, June 5, 2018
- White House Announces Creation of Select Committee on Artificial Intelligence (5/10/2018)
- White House Hosts Summit on Artificial Intelligence for American Industry (5/10/2018)