The Medical-Industrial Radiation Facility (MIRF) located in the Radiation Physics Division of the NIST Physical Measurement Laboratory is a user facility for the medical and industrial radiation communities. The MIRF is based on a re-configured rf-powered, traveling-wave electron linac donated by the Radiation Therapy Center of Yale University-New Haven Hospital. The accelerator provides electron energies from 7 MeV to 32 MeV at an average beam current of up to 0.1 mA. In addition, bremsstrahlung generated photon beams are also provided by the bombardment of suitable targets.
- Two-stage traveling-wave rf linac
- Collimator head for medical treatment beam
- 380 V motor generator to convert to 50 Hz
- 8 MW Klystron and waveguide for 3000 MHz rf
- Water cooling system
- Operator's console and data acquisition system