- Field ion source delivers helium ions to sample. Images with secondary electrons or scattered ions.
- Silicon drift detector for energy resolution on backscattered ions
- Different contrast mechanisms than an electron microscope allowing complementary surface analysis and improved depth of field
- Resolution of 0.35 nm
- Electron flood gun allows for charge compensation and, in turn, imaging of dielectrics including biological samples
- Manufacturer/Model: Zeiss Orion
- Scanning Transmission Ion Microscopy (STIM) with helium ions: This work by Taylor Woehl, Ryan White, and Bob Keller represents the first demonstration of using He ions, rather than electrons, in transmission mode to image a sample with a dedicated detector (manuscript accepted to the journal Microscopy & Microanalysis).