Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

CRDO - Complaint

If you are a NIST employee, a former NIST employee, or applicant for employment at NIST, and you feel you have been discriminated against because of your age (40 and older), color, race, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, genetic information, and/or reprisal for previous EEO activity, or you need additional information regarding discrimination or harassment issues, contact an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Counselor or the Civil Rights and Diversity Office (301-975-2038 or ) within 45 calendar days of the alleged act of discrimination.

Read the Federal EEO Complaint Processing Regulations (29 CFR 1614)

EEOC Management Directive 110

DAO 215-9 Filling Discrimination Complaints

Contact an EEO Counselor Outside of your operating unit

Building Accessibility

The Architectural Barriers Act (ABA) requires that buildings or facilities that were constructed or altered by or on behalf of the United States, or leased or financed in whole or in part by the United States, after August 12, 1968, be accessible to individuals with physical disabilities. The law covers a wide range of facilities, including post offices, social security offices, prisons, and national parks. It also applies to non-government facilities that have received federal funding, such as certain schools, public housing, and mass transit systems.

The US Access Board enforces accessibility standards issued under the ABA. If you have a concern about accessibility at buildings or facilities that may have been federally funded, you may file a complaint with the US Access Board.

Filing a Complaint

Complaints under the ABA can be filed with the Access Board online, by email, mail, or fax.

To get an investigation started, the Access Board needs:

  • the name and address of the building or facility; and
  • a brief description of each access problem or barrier you encountered at that building or facility.

Additional information about the facility, such as when it was built or known sources of Federal funding, is helpful but not necessary.  You may also submit any photographs or other supporting documents with your complaint.

Personal information, including your name, is optional and allows us to keep you informed of the status and results of our investigation.  If you provide any personal information, we will not disclose it without your written permission.  If you wish, however, you may file a complaint anonymously. 

Filing Options

Online Complaint Form: submit online complaint form at File an ABA Complaint (click on link to open)

Email:  Send a complaint by e-mail to the Board at

Mail or Fax:  A complaint can be submitted by mail or fax.  Send to:

Compliance and Enforcement

U.S. Access Board

1331 F Street, NW, Suite 1000

Washington, DC  20004-1111

Fax: (202) 272-0081

More information about the ABA and how to file a complaint can be found at


Created July 2, 2009, Updated May 6, 2020