The following are specific instructions for your use in completing the appropriate forms necessary for your entrance on duty. Please complete the forms and bring them with you to orientation.
Section A – Mandatory Forms for All New Employees:
The following are specific instructions for your use in completing the appropriate forms necessary for your entrance on duty. You MUST complete these forms and bring them with you to orientation. Along with the forms, you MUST bring two acceptable forms of identification. (See a list of acceptable forms of identification.)
- Applicant's Statement of Selective Service Registration Status (males only)
- CD-525, Employee Address
- SF-144, Statement of Prior Federal Service
- Educational Level
- FMS-2231, Direct Deposit: Section 4 is to be completed ONLY if you would like to set up an allotment. You can have up to 14 allotments.
- SF-256, Self Identification of Medical Disability
- SF-181, Ethnicity and Race Identification
- CD-314, Statement Relating to Employee Responsibilities and Conduct You have 10 days from your enter on duty date to return the completed form to your servicing HR Assistant, Mail Stop 1720, Building 101, Room A123. View the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch
- Human Resources Source Document: Complete your name and item 25 only.
- SF-1152, Unpaid Compensation
- Tax Forms:
- W-4, Federal Tax Withholding
- If you work in Maryland and reside in Maryland, complete:
- If you work in Maryland but reside in Virginia or the District of Columbia, complete:
- If you work in Maryland but reside in another state (other than Virginia or DC), complete:
- If you work in Virginia and reside in Virginia, complete:
- If you work in Virginia and reside in Maryland or DC, complete:
- If you work in Colorado and reside in Colorado:
- Colorado does not have an equivalent state form to the Federal W-4. This is because the state income tax is based on the taxpayer's federal taxable income. NIST will use the information from the federal W-4 Form to calculate the state wage withholding amounts.
- Occasionally an employee will have a unique tax situation that requires different W-4 information to be used to accurately determine the amount of Colorado withholding. In this case, please give your servicing HR Assistant a separate W-4 Form with "Colorado Copy" written on top for use in computing the state withholding.
- If none of the above is applicable, complete:
- Security Forms:
- NIST-351, Request for Federal Credential or NIST Site Badge: The address on the form MUST match your driver's license.
- I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification: Complete Section 1. DO NOT SIGN OR DATE.
- Two forms of identification MUST be brought with you on your first day of employment. Click here for a list of acceptable forms of identification.
- Unacceptable Use of NIST Information Technology Resources
Section B – Benefits Forms
If you are eligible for Federal benefits, there are some decisions that you will need to make as a new employee. View information on specific timeframes and program information.
- SF-2809, Health Benefits Enrollment Form
- SF-2817, Life Insurance Enrollment Form
- TSP-1, Thrift Savings Plan Election Form - Information on TSP is located at www.tsp.gov. Your payroll contributions will be effective the pay period in which it is received. (If you are currently contributing to TSP or have an outstanding TSP loan, please notify your servicing Human Resources Assistant.)
Section C – Beneficiary Forms
There is no need to complete the Designation of Beneficiary forms if you are satisfied with the order of precedence listed below:
- Executor of Estate
- Next of Kin
If you are transferring from another agency and you have previously made beneficiary designations, those designations are still valid except the designation for Unpaid Compensation, SF-1152.
Links to Beneficiary Forms:
- SF-1152, Unpaid Compensation
- SF-2808, Designation of Beneficiary - Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS)
- SF-3102, Designation of Beneficiary - Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS)
- SF-2823, Designation of Beneficiary - Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI)
- TSP-3, Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) (Mail/Fax directly to the TSP)
Please note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view many forms. Get Acrobat Reader. If you cannot access these files, please contact Human Resources.