You searched on: Author: john gross Sorted by: title
Displaying records 1 to 10 of 54 records.
Resort by: Date / Title
1. A COMPARISON OF TWO TEMPERATURE-DEPENDENT STRESS-STRAIN MODELS FOR STRUCTURAL STEEL UNDER TRANSIENT HEATING
Lisa Yong yae Choe, William E Luecke, John L Gross
The finite-element method (FEM) requires accurate constitutive models for predicting the behaviour of steel components, structural
members, or systems subjected to fire. As part of the World Trade Centre collapse investigation, the National Institu ...
2. A Study of Thermal Behavior of a Composite Floor System in Standard Fire Resistance Tests
Technical Note (NIST TN)
Dilip K Banerjee, John L Gross
This report summarizes the characterization of the furnace thermal environment and thermal behavior
of members during the fire tests. Additionally, numerical results from a heat transfer finite
element model of a representative section of the flo ...
3. AISC Design Guide No. 12 Modification of Existing Welded Steel Moment Frame Connections for Seismic Resistance
John L Gross
The Congressional emergency appropriation resulting from the January 17, 1994, Northridge earthquake provided the Building and Fire Research Laboratory (BFRL) at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) an opportunity to expand its a ...
4. An Integrated Interactive Visualization and Analysis Environment to study the Impact of Fire on Building Structures
Dilip K Banerjee, John L Gross, Pradeep Reddy Gaddam, Thomas M Olano, William J. Hess, Judith Ellen Terrill, Terence J. Griffin, John G Hagedorn, John T. Kelso, Steven G Satterfield
We have created an integrated interactive visualization and analysis environment, that can be used immersively or on the desktop, to study the interaction among fire, heat transfer, and structural deformation computed from three linked simulations.
5. Analysis of Structural Response of WTC 7 to Fire and Sequential Failures Leading to Collapse
Therese P McAllister, Robert S. MacNeill, Omer O Erbay, Andrew T Sarawit, Mehdi S Zarghamee, Steven W Kirkpatrick, John L Gross
This paper presents the structural analysis approach used and results obtained during the investigation conducted by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to model the sequence of fire-induced damage and failures leading to the gl ...
6. Applications of the NIST ROBOCRANE.
Roger V Bostelman, James S. Albus, Adam S Jacoff, John L Gross, N Pagalakis
The Robot Systems Division of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has recently been experimenting with a variety of applications for the NIST ROBOCRANE. The ROBOCRANE design utilizes the basic idea of the Stewart Platform parall ...
7. BEHAVIOR OF STEEL COMPONENTS SUBJECTED TO LOCALIZED FIRE
Chao Zhang, John L Gross, Lisa Yong yae Choe
Recent numerical studies on the behavior of steel components subjected to a localized fire are
presented. Sequentially coupled thermo-mechanical simulations were conducted to predict the steel
temperature distribution, the deformation mode and fa ...
8. Behavior of Unrestrained and Restrained Steel Columns Adjacent to Localized Fire
Chao Zhang, John L Gross, Therese P McAllister, Guo-Qiang Li
Steel columns may be exposed to thermal radiation from localized burning of a fire source nearby.
Current structural fire design methods are based on uniform heating and, therefore, uniform
temperature conditions, and no practicable methods are p ...
9. Best Practice Guidelines for Structural Fire Resistance Design of Concrete and Steel Buildings
Technical Note (NIST TN)
Long Thanh Phan, John L Gross, Therese P McAllister
This document is intended to provide practicing engineers and building code officials with a technical resource that contains the current best practice for fire-resistant design of concrete and steel structures. The report provides a review of exi ...
10. Component, Connection, and Subsystem Structural Analysis. Federal Building and Fire Safety
Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster (NIST NCSTAR 1-6C)
National Construction Safety Team Act Reports (NIST NCSTAR)
Mehdi S Zarghamee, S Bolourchi, D W Eggars, Omer O Erbay, F W Kan, Y Kitane, P R Barrett, John L Gross, Therese P McAllister, A A Liepins, M Mudlock, W I Naguib, R P Ojdrovic, Andrew T Sarawit