You searched on: Author: james filliben
Displaying records 11 to 20 of 90 records.
Resort by: Date / Title
11. A Baseline for Assessing Biometrics Performance Robustness: A Case Study across Seven Iris Datasets
Yooyoung Lee, James J Filliben, Ross J Micheals, Michael D Garris, P Jonathon Phillips
We examine the robustness of algorithm performance over multiple datasets collected with different sensors. This study provide insight as to whether an algorithm performance derived from traditional controlled environment studies will robustly extrap ...
12. Combining Genetic Algorithms & Simulation to Search for Failure Scenarios in System Models
Kevin L Mills, Christopher E Dabrowski, James J Filliben, Sanford P Ressler
Large infrastructures, such as clouds, can exhibit substantial outages, sometimes due to failure scenarios that were not considered during system design. We define a method that uses a genetic algorithm (GA) to search system simulations for parameter ...
13. Statistical Prediction of Sealant Modulus Change due to Outdoor Weathering
Christopher C White, Kar T. Tan, Donald Lee Hunston, Adam L Pintar, James J Filliben
Recently a statistically based model has been created to predict the change in modulus for a sealant exposed to outdoor weathering. The underlying high precision data supporting this model was obtained using the NIST SPHERE (Simulated Photo degrada ...
14. VASIR: An Open-Source Research Platform for Advanced Iris Recognition Technologies
Journal of Research (NIST JRES)
Yooyoung Lee, Ross J Micheals, James J Filliben, P Jonathon Phillips
The performance of iris recognition systems is frequently affected by input image quality, which in
turn is vulnerable to less-than-optimal conditions due to illuminations, environments, and subject
characteristics (e.g., distance, movement, face ...
15. Sensitivity Analysis for Biometric Systems: A Methodology Based on Orthogonal Experiment Designs
Yooyoung Lee, James J Filliben, Ross J Micheals, P Jonathon Phillips
The purpose of this paper is to introduce an effective and structured methodology for carrying out a biometric system sensitivity analysis. The goal of sensitivity analysis is to provide the researcher/developer with the insight and understanding of ...
16. Characterization of the NIST Shellfish Standard Reference Material 4358
Svetlana Nour, Kenneth G Inn, James J Filliben, Hank dan der Gaast, Lee Chung Men, M.D. Calmet, P Povinec, Y Takata, M. Wisdom, K. Nakamura, Pia Vesterbacka, Ching-Chung Huang, S M Vakulovsky
A new Shellfish Standard Reference Material (SRM 4358) was developed at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) via an international intercomparison project that involved 12 laboratories-participants from 9 countries (Table 1). This ...
17. A Bayesian Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation (QNDE) Approach to Estimating Remaining Life of
Aging Pressure Vessels and Piping
Jeffrey T Fong, William F Guthrie, James J Filliben, Nathanael A Heckert
In this paper, we use a Bayesian quantitative nondestructive evaluation (QNDE) approach to
estimating the remaining life of aging structures and components. Our approach depends on in-situ
NDE measurements of detectable crack lengths and crack g ...
18. A Stochastic and Local Theory of Fatigue for Aging Pressure Vessels and Piping
Jeffrey T Fong, Nathanael A Heckert, James J Filliben
We begin with a review of the fatigue design methodology for new pressure vessels and piping, based
on both deterministic and stochastic approaches. We will then prove that the same methodology for
estimating the remaining life of aging pressure ...
19. Big Data Issues in Quantitative Imaging
Mary C Brady, Alden A Dima, Charles D. Fenimore, James J Filliben, John Lu, Adele P Peskin, Mala Ramaiah, Ganesh Saiprasad, Ram D Sriram
20. Exploring background variability of a low-level (quartz) gas proportional counter using pulse shape and distribution analysis
George A Klouda, James J Filliben
Low-level gas proportional counting presents special challenges to the measurement process. Generally, measurement systems for this purpose have unique signal-processing capabilities through specialized electronics and software for maintaining a sta ...