You searched on:
Author: robert cook
Sorted by: title
Displaying records 1 to 10 of 56 records.
Resort by: Date / Title
1. Accuracy and Resolution of Nanoscale Strain Measurement Techniques
William A Osborn, Lawrence H Friedman, Mark D Vaudin, Stephan J Stranick, Michael S. Gaither, Justin M Gorham, Victor Vartanian, Robert Francis Cook
2. Accurate Spring Constant Calibration for very Stiff Atomic Force Microscopy Cantilevers
Scott Grutzik, Richard Swift Gates, Yvonne Beatrice Gerbig, Douglas T Smith, Robert Francis Cook, Alan Zehnder
There are many atomic force microscopy (AFM) applications that rely on quantifying the force between
the AFM cantilever tip and the sample. The AFM does not explicitly measure force, however, so in
such cases knowledge of the cantilever stiffness ...
3. Advanced Nanoscale Elastic Property Measurement by Contact-Resonance Atomic Force Microscopy
Gheorghe Stan, Robert Francis Cook
In atomic force microscopy (AFM)-based techniques, material information (topography, mechanical, electrical, magnetic, etc.) is retrieved from the nanoscale interaction between the AFM tip and the
material probed. As the size of the apex of the AFM ...
4. Comparison of Nanoscale Measurements of Strain and Stress using
Electron Back Scattered Diffraction and Confocal Raman Microscopy
Mark D Vaudin, Yvonne Beatrice Gerbig, Stephan J Stranick, Robert Francis Cook
Strains in Si as small as 104 (corresponding to stresses of 10 MPa) have been measured using electron back scatter diffraction (EBSD), with spatial resolution close to 10 nm, and confocal Raman microscopy (CRM) with spatial resolution app ...
5. Compressive stress effect on the radial elastic modulus of oxidized Si nanowires
Gheorghe Stan, Sergiy Krylyuk, Albert Davydov, Robert Francis Cook
Detailed understanding and optimal control of the properties of Si nanowires are essential steps in developing Si nanoscale circuitry. In this work, we have investigated mechanical properties of as-grown and oxidized Si nanowires as a function of the ...
6. Decoupling small-scale roughness and long-range features on deep reactive ion etched silicon surfaces
Frank W DelRio, Lawrence H Friedman, Michael S. Gaither, William A Osborn, Robert Francis Cook
Roughness scaling of three different deep reactive ion etched (DRIE) silicon surfaces is investigated using atomic force microscopy. At small distances, height-height correlations H reveal power-law behavior with equal scaling exponents for all surf ...
7. Deformation and fracture of single-crystal silicon theta-like specimens
Michael S. Gaither, Frank W DelRio, Richard Swift Gates, Robert Francis Cook
Miniaturized test specimens of single-crystal silicon, fabricated by lithography and deep reactive ion etching (DRIE), were used to measure deformation and fracture properties at the micro scale. Two specimen geometries, both in the form of a Greek l ...
8. Development of a Precision Nanoindentation Platform
Douglas T Smith, Bartosz Karol Nowakowski, Robert Francis Cook, Stuart T Smith, Luis F Correa
This paper presents the design, construction and performance of a surface- referenced nanoindentation instrument termed a precision nanoindentation platform (PNP). The PNP is a symmetrically designed instrument with a centrally located indenter tip a ...
9. Diameter-Dependent Radial and Tangential Elastic Moduli of ZnO Nanowires
Gheorghe Stan, C V Ciobanu, Prahalad M. Parthangal, Robert Francis Cook
10. Direct observation of phase transformation anisotropy in indented silicon using confocal Raman microscopy
Yvonne Beatrice Gerbig, Stephan J Stranick, Robert Francis Cook
The theoretically-predicted anisotropic nature of the indentation phase transformation in silicon (Si) is observed directly in experiments using hyperspectral, confocal Raman microscopy. The anisotropy is reflected in the two-dimensional distribution ...