You searched on: Author: dale bentz
Displaying records 31 to 40 of 190 records.
Resort by: Date / Title
31. Using Viscosity Modifiers to Reduce Effective Diffusivity in Mortars
Kenneth Alan Snyder, Dale P Bentz, Jeffrey M. Davis
Three viscosity modifiers (a commercial shrinkage-reducing admixture, a polypropylene
glycol, and cellulose ether) are used to reduce the effective diffusivity of chloride ions through
mortars during a one-year exposure. Two delivery mechanisms ...
32. Incorporation of Phase Change Materials in Cementitious Systems via Fine Lightweight Aggregate
Aaron Richard Sakulich, Dale P Bentz
As infrastructure nears the end of its service life, society is facing an unprecedented maintenance
crisis. A new technique that may be able to help address this crisis, extending the service life of
bridge decks by reducing freeze/thaw damage th ...
33. Modeling Cement Hydration Kinetics Using the Equivalent Age Concept
Xueyu Pang, Dale P Bentz, Christian Meyer
In this study the hydration kinetics of four different types of cements during early ages were investigated by both chemical shrinkage and isothermal calorimetry tests. Chemical shrinkage tests were performed at both different temperatures and pressu ...
34. Influence of Particle Size Distributions on Yield Stress and Viscosity of Cement-Fly Ash Pastes
Dale P Bentz, Chiara F Ferraris, Michael A Galler, John Guynn, Andrew Hansen
The rheological properties of blended cement-based materials depend strongly on mixture proportions and the characteristics of the components, such as cement and fly ash. In this study, design of experiments is used to investigate the influence of t ...
35. Internal Curing - Constructing More Robust Concrete
Jason Weiss, Dale P Bentz, Anton Schlinder, Pietro Lura
It is often said that there are two types of concrete: concrete that has cracked and concrete that is going to crack. Unfortunately, this is true all too frequently. Many of these unwanted cracks develop shortly after the concrete is placed and in ...
36. Analysis of Early-Age Bridge Deck Cracking in Nevada and Wyoming
NIST Interagency/Internal Report (NISTIR)
Dale P Bentz, Paul E Stutzman, Aaron Richard Sakulich, William Jason Weiss
In late 2009, the Echo Wash and Valley of Fire bridge decks were constructed in the Lake
Mead National Recreation area in Nevada. Within six months, in early 2010, both decks exhibited
considerable transverse cracking, with some cracks extendin ...
37. Fine Limestone Additions to Regulate Setting in High Volume Fly Ash Mixtures
Dale P Bentz, Taijiro Sato, Igor de la Varga, Jason Weiss
High volume fly ash (HVFA) concrete mixtures are being considered more frequently due to their cost and sustainability advantages. While the long term performance of these HVFA concretes typically meets or exceeds that of conventional concretes, the ...
38. Thermal Properties and Thermal Modeling of Ballistic Clay Box
NIST Interagency/Internal Report (NISTIR)
Dale P Bentz, Amanda Lattam Forster, Kirk D Rice, Michael A Riley
A critical component of hard and soft body armor testing is the utilization of a clay block
behind the component being evaluated. One of the performance metrics used to evaluate products is
the penetration depth into the clay of an indentation ...
39. Comparison of ASTM C311 Strength Activity Index Testing vs. Testing Based on Constant Volumetric Proportions
Dale P Bentz, Alejandro Duran-Herrera, Daniel Galvez-Moreno
Currently, the (pozzolanic) strength activity indices of fly ashes and natural pozzolans are typically evaluated using the procedures outlined in ASTM C311, ,Standard Test Methods for Sampling and Testing Fly Ash or Natural Pozzolans for Use in Portl ...
40. Parametric assessment of stress development and cracking in internally-cured restrained mortars experiencing autogenous deformations and thermal loading
Kambiz Raoufi, John Schlitter, Dale P Bentz, Jason Weiss
This study used a finite element model to examine how the properties of cementitious mortar are related to the rate of stress development in the dual ring test. The results of this investigation are used to explain the thermal cracking behavior of m ...