Identification and derivation of molecular properties of small free radicals, molecular ions, and other highly reactive chemical reaction intermediates using infrared spectroscopic data obtained for these species trapped in solid neon or argon at cryogenic temperatures.
Matrix isolation infrared spectroscopy
Vibrational and electronic energy levels of polyatomic transient molecules
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Fellow, Washington Academy of Sciences
- Member, American Chemical Society (Board of Managers, Chemical Society of Washington Section, 2005-2009)
- Member, Sigma Xi (President Elect, NBS Chapter, 1987−1988; President, 1988/89)
- Member, Inter−American Photochemical Society (Executive Committee, 1978-1979; Chairman, Election Committee, 1980)
- Editorial Board, Reviews of Chemical Intermediates, 1984−1989
- Editorial Board, Journal of Chemical Physics, 1989−1991
Awards and other honors:
- Utica College Outstanding Alumnus Award, 1963.
- Member, 40 Alumni of Achievement, Utica College, 1987.
- Washington Academy of Sciences Award in Physical Sciences, 1968.
- Washington Academy of Sciences Award for Distinguished Career in Science, 2007.
- U. S. Department of Commerce Gold Medal Award for Distinguished Service, 1970.
- Federal Woman's Award, 1973.
- Samuel Wesley Stratton Award of the National Bureau of Standards, U. S. Department of Commerce, 1973.
- Ellis R. Lippincott Award in Vibrational Spectroscopy, 1989.
- Hillebrand Prize of the Chemical Society of Washington, 1990.
- WISE Lifetime Achievement Award, Interagency Committee for Women in Science and Engineering, 1991.
- Sc.D. (honorary), Syracuse University, 1993.
- E. Bright Wilson Award in Spectroscopy, American Chemical Society, 2003.
- George C. Pimentel Award for Advances in Matrix Isolation Spectroscopy, steering and organizing committees for 15th International Symposium on Matrix Isolation Spectroscopy, 2005.
- Sc.D. (honorary), University of Waterloo, 2006.
- The Marilyn Jacox Festschrift, Journal of Physical Chemistry A 104, No. 16 (27 Apr 2000), contained fifty scientific papers in related fields, as well as a brief scientific biography and publication list.
Sensor Science Division
Optical Radiation Group
1962-present, NIST, Gaithersburg, MD
1958-1962, Mellon Institute, Pittsburgh, PA
1956-1958, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
B.A. Chemistry, Utica College of Syracuse University, Utica, NY