This project is intended to create tools for metrologically sound sampling, analysis, and testing of children’s products and their component materials for the purpose of compliance with U.S. regulations governing the content of lead (Pb) in accessible parts. Additional activities are aimed at assisting manufacturers and consumers with analyses to obtain accurate, defensible results.
NIST and CPSC are collaborating on the following activities:
- Information gathering on types of materials and paint compositions in toys
- Research techniques commonly used to create paint films
- Research XRF and atomic spectrometric methods for Pb
- Development of a design for prototype SRMs and identification of organizations capable of manufacturing SRM paint films
- Development of SRMs for measurement of Pb in toys