Making an Image Square
This is how to easily make a square image out of a rectangular
one by cropping out a square portion. The FFT and convolution operations,
for example, work better with square images, with sides equal to a powers of
- The image is 512 pixels high - good for FFT.
- Select / select ALL. See yellow rectangle around
- Select / force to square. See rectangle contracted
to a square, 512 pixels on a side. The square is the right size, but
not in the right position. Click on the interior of the square and drag
it to the right to the desired position. Since the square is the full
height of the image, it cannot be dragged up or down.
Note - the bottom of the rectangle is not shown because the image
above is zoomed to half size for display here. The entire rectangle
is visible when the image is actual size.
- Select / Crop image to rectangle. This makes a new
image from the square region.
- Discard the original image if you wish.