Research Interests: Advanced sensors and imaging, image processing, computer and machine vision, data mining and pattern recognition.
Research Projects: Biosciences and Laboratory Diagnosis
Recent Journal publications:
- Joe Chalfoun, Marcin Kociolek, Alden Dima, Adele Peskin, Antonio Cardone, Michael Halter, Peter Bajcsy, and Mary Brady" Segmenting Time-lapse Phase Contrast Images of Adjacent NIH 3T3 Cells," Journal of Microscopy (accepted September 2012)
- Kenton McHenry, Peter Bajcsy, Rob Kooper and Mike Frogley, "Tele-Immersive Environments for Rehabilitation Activities: An Empirical Study on Proprioception," Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing – Special Issue on Challenges, Trends and Solutions for 3-D, Editor: Eduardo Antônio Barros da Silva, Issn: 0923-6082, pp 1-4, Springer Netherlands, January, 2012.; Url: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11045-012-0181-8; Doi: 10.1007/s11045-012-0181-8
- Bajcsy P., Y-F. Lin, A. Yahja, and C-Y. Kim, "A Framework for Accurate Geospatial Modeling using Image Ranking and Machine Learning," Journal of Hydroinformatics Vol 13 No 3 pp 443–460 © IWA Publishing 2011 doi:10.2166/hydro.2010.187, URL: http://www.iwaponline.com/jh/013/jh0130443.htmMichael Simeone, Jennifer Guiliano, Rob Kooper and Peter Bajcsy, "Digging into Data Using New Collaborative Infrastructures Supporting Humanities-based Computer Science Research," First Monday electronic journal, First Monday, Volume 16, Number 5 - 2 May 2011; http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/viewArticle/3372/2950
More journal publications ....
Recent Books and Book Chapters:
- McFadden W., R. Kooper, S-C. Lee, and P. Bajcsy, "Comprehensive and Scalable Appraisals of Contemporary Documents," Chapter 6, Edited by Yagang Zhang, in the book on Applications of Machine Learning", by IN-TECH – the free online access publishing, ISBN 978-953-7619-X-X, April 2010.
- Bajcsy P. and R. Kooper, "Integration of Data across Disparate Sensing Systems Over Both Time and Space to Design Smart Environments," chapter 17 in the book on "Sustainable Radio Frequency Identification Solutions ", Edited by Cristina Turcu; IN-TECH, ISBN 978-953-7619-74-9, 356 pages, Publishing date: February 2010; http://www.sciyo.com/books/show/title/sustainable-radio-frequency-identification-solutions
- Bajcsy P., R. Kooper, L. Marini and J. Myers, "Community-Scale Cyberinfrastructure for Exploratory Science," In: Cyberinfrastructure Technologies and Applications book, Editor: Junwei Cao, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Chapter 12, page 243-262, 2009, ISBN: 9781606920633. https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8011
More books and book chapters ....
Recent Conference Papers:
- Peter Bajcsy, Ben Long, Antoine Vandecreme, Joe Chalfoun, Paul Khouri-Saba, and Mary Brady, "Toward Web Accessible Reference Measurements of Image Similarity," CYTO 2012: ISAC's XXVII Congress, Leipzig, Germany, June 23-27, 2012.
- Peter Bajcsy, Joe Chalfoun, and Mary Brady, "Toward a Recommendation System for Image Similarity Metrics," Proceedings of the 2nd IASTED International Symposia Imaging and Signal Processing in Health Care and Technology (ISPHT 2012), pp. 94-100, May 14 – 16, 2012 Baltimore, USA; DOI: 10.2316/P.2012.771-014.
- Peter Bajcsy, Rob Kooper, Luigi Marini, Kenton McHenry, Michal Ondrejcek, "A framework for understanding file format conversions," Proceedings of the 2010 Roadmap for Digital Preservation Interoperability Framework Workshop, Gaithersburg, MD, USA — March 29 - 31, 2010,Article No.: 10, published Oct. 2011, doi: 10.1145/2039274.2039284; URL: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2039274
- Kenton McHenry, Rob Kooper, Michal Ondrejcek, Luigi Marini, Peter Bajcsy, "A Mosaic of Software," 2011 Microsoft Research eScience conference, December 5–8, 2011, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Guochun Shi, Volodymyr Kindratenko, Rob Kooper and Peter Bajcsy, "GPU Acceleration of an Image Characterization Algorithm for Document Similarity Analysis," The 9th ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA 2011), Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, December 27-30, 2011, Paper Session 1: Clouds, Grids, and Parallelism, http://www.aiccsa.org/
More conference papers ....
- NCSA/UIUC guest lecture, April 4, "Understanding Software-Based Measurements in Biological Metrology"
- UIC, May 10, "Stem cell imaging: accuracy and uncertainty of stem cell image analyses"; Annual Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Program from the combined UIUC and UIC campuses, http://tigger.uic.edu/depts/ovcr/research/stemcell/events/2012/index.html
- NIST, May 15, "Accuracy and Uncertainty of Image Analyses", workshop on NIST policy on the evaluation and expression of measurement uncertainty, May 15–16th, 2012; http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Uncertainty/bibliography.html
- Janelia Farm Research, May 21,"How to compare microscopy images?", http://www.janelia.org/
- NIST, June 14, "Grand Challenges of Measurement Science with Big Data," Big Data Workshop, June 13-14, 2012.2
2011 and 2010 Presentations ....
Quotes About My Work
- The International Science Grid This Week (iSGTW), "Feature - Digital visual inspection," by Miriam Boon, Issue 203: iSGTW 1 December 2010; URL: http://www.isgtw.org/feature/digital-visual-inspection
- The New York Times, "Digital Keys for Unlocking the Humanities' Riches," By Patricia Cohen Published: November 16, 2010; on-line http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/arts/17digital.html?_r=1
- The New York Times, "From 'Avatar' Playbook, Athletes Use 3-D Imaging," by James Glanz and Alan Schwarz, Published: October 2, 2010 on-line at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/sports/03reality.html?_r=1, and October 3, 2010, (the Sunday issue) on page A1 of the New York edition of NY Times.
- Futurity, "Real-time action in a virtual world" by Erika Strebel-Illinois posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 15:57; see http://futurity.org/top-stories/real-time-action-in-a-virtual-world/
- NCSA Headline News, "NCSA researchers create interactive virtual learning space," March 25, 2009, http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/News/09/0325NCSAresearchers.html
- HPCWire, The Next Big Thing in Humanities, Arts and Social Science Computing: 18thConnect by Kevin Franklin and Karen Rodriguez, November 24, 2008, http://www.hpcwire.com/features/The_Next_Big_Thing_in_Humanities_Arts_and_Social_Science_Computing_18thConnect_35010199.html
- NCSA Headline News, "Students embark on Google Summer of Code projects with NCSA," June 16-17, 2008, SupercomputingOnline.com: http://www.supercomputingonline.com/print.php?sid=15764
- NCSA Headline News, "3D volume reconstruction technique improves accuracy and performance", December 6, 2006, http://access.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Stories/nuggets/uveal.html
- Talbot D. "The Fading Memory of the State," MIT Technology Review, July 2005, TechnologyReview.com, the article is published and web accessible at: http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/07/issue/feature_memory.asp
Software and Systems Division
Information Systems Group
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
M.S., University of Pennsylvania, 1994