CORAL Name: Sputter 2
Similar to the existing 4-Gun Denton Discovery 22 Sputter system, with the following enhancements:
Specifications / Capabilities:
- Flex-type gun cathodes. This presents a 3rd axis of adjustment for uniformity tuning and angular plasma presentation.
- The heating element is no longer a quartz lamp. The calrod backside assembly is much more stable and the heating uniformity is greatly improved.
- The PLC control touch screen interface has been improved as PLC/HMI technology has improved. Also used a Windows PC based system for recipie and data logging options.
- A three position throttle valve is used to limit conductance during sputtering.
- One magnetically enhanced gun has been added for ferro-magnetic materials significantly increasing the deposition rates.
- An option is being considered to obtain a rotating (Lazy-Susan type) of substrate chuck for optimum positioning of the substrate directly below the desired gun.
- Convenient for multilayers, superlattices, and unattended operations.
Scientific Opportunities / Applications:
- Metals: electrical contacts, dry etch masks, nanoplasmonics, magnetic materials
- Oxides, nitrides: electrical isolation, etching masks
Access to this machine follows standard NanoFab operating hours (7am - 7pm Monday - Friday). Out of hours access requires prior approval by the NanoFab Manager.